What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recorded Video Shows More Than What Was On Screen

Walt Cullop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't checked it out on the ipad but that is a common feature of all cameras. If you went back to your old 35mm and took careful notice of what you saw in the view finder and then (after the trip to the drugstore for developing) looked at the picture you would see that the picture is slightly more. Same with video cameras. You didn't notice it then because you had to go print the picture and the opportunity was gone. It is just something you have to account for.

OP
T

TheGrooby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took some video with my camera phone (Motorola Cliq II) as well as video camera (Sony Nex Gen 2) and didn't notice any extra space in the shot. I agree that with older cameras this was the norm, but with newer devices I don't see why it would be an issue.

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TheGrooby said:
I was doing a lot of video recording recently and noticed that what I see on the iPad screen is not a true representation of what gets recorded. On each side of the recorded video there is more space being recorded than shows on my iPad screen at the time of recording.

For instance, I was recording video of someone sitting in front of a black screen. I was tight enough that on the iPad you could see the subject and black background. When I viewed the video later I realized that the white walls on either side of the black screen made it into the video.

Any knowledge on this matter or any tips?

Yeah, I noticed that.

Whilst in camera mode, if you switch between photo and video recording mode you can clearly see that the screen image zooms in a few levels when video is selected. Which, as you say, doesn't 'fully' reflect what you're actually capturing on the screen.

It's not a big deal for me because the iPad is not my primary camera for either photo or movie capture, but it still does beg the question, why was it setup this way? Perhaps the video image zoom level is linked to the front face-time camera or something like that?

In any case, I'm still absolutely loving the new iPad and use it constantly, it's truly a remarkable machine.

Ps. I've answered your question here, but see that you've started multiple threads on this topic.

Last edited:
OP
T

TheGrooby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't started multiple threads. Responded to similar threads.

Most reactions

Latest posts