What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Recent Change?

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the past couple of days I had issues logging into a forum I’ve belonged to for years. I switched from Safari/google to Duck Duck Go which worked a couple of times. Turned off iPad. Turned off Router. Nothing helped. My husband checked his iPad and he can’t open the site either.

I can look at the site using my iPhone. A couple of other people are having the same issue.

Using a Window computer, I can open the site. It’s not my computer so that doesn’t solve the problem.

The site uses Software by XenForo.

Do you know of any setting that Apple has changed or something I may need to adjust on my iPad? Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try going to Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data.

This will clear the passwords for all sites that remember you login. If you want to avoid this go to Safari > Advanced > Website Data and clear only the lines that have the problem site's URL.

I'm not sure why the other browsers would be affected by this, but they should also have similar history/data clearning options in settings, or in the app itself.

If you are using a VPN with the iPad, that might cause issues as well.

If the site has a plolicy that stops you from using it without enabling cookies, or because you're blocking ads, that might cause issues. Though I would expect the site to give you a splash screen telling you why you are being blocked.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

OP
C

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Clearing history didn’t work.

I’m not using a VPN .

The admin at the site updated it and he can’t load the site on his iPad either.

It’s so frustrating.

I appreciate your help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

Sounds like you'll need to wait for them to fix whatever bug they introduced with the latest update.

Alternatively you could use Puffin Cloud Browser. This app isn't really a web browser. Rather it is a remote session to a browser in the cloud. As such it bypasses all the browser limitations on the iPad.

It used to be one of the few good ways to visit sites that used Flash. Rarely an issue these days. Because it was intended for those site, and playing games on them it has some strange interface options. Also I'm not familiar with the current version. It's been a long time since I used it. I also caution using for sensitive or financial sites. You're passing your browsing session through an extra server, which potentially weakens security.

But as a temporary solution for a forum, it's probably ok. Or for one of the very rare Flash sites still in existence. If there are any.

There are a few other apps that work this way. I think one of the Opera Browser apps is similar.

OP
C

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much, twerppoet for all your ideas. The owner of the forum finally found a work around. He reset those of us with the problem to an old, default version of XenForo.

Most reactions

Latest posts