What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reading scientific papers on an iPad

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,

I use the iPad every day, most of the day, in my scientific work.

I use Good Reader most of the time because I can annotate the pdf I am reading.

As an oldster, my eyes aren't good---and are getting worse. But I can easily take care of vision problems by expanding the screen. You can get any magnification you like with good resolution. If I were reading an A5 document I would probably mostly use that mode for better word size, but it works very well.

I use Notetaker HD for handwriting notes.

And, bottom line, you can't beat the iPad for this type of work. After all, you have your entire library and work desk in your hand and it can go everywhere with you.

Marvelous! (But you do have to learn to use it effectively.)

+1.

I do the same thing....read lots of journal articles in PDF format.

The reason I sold my iPad 2 and got the new iPad is because scientific/engineering PDFs look GREAT on the new iPad. That extra resolution really shows up. If you hold the new iPad in portrait mode, then you can view (and, most importantly, READ) an 8.5-inch by 11-inch formatted PDF and actually see all the equations, including subscripts and superscripts. Color figures look great as well. If you ask me, Apple as done what Microsoft never did, create a product that specifically addresses the needs of the scientific/engineering community (of course, it does way more than just that!) in terms of reading.

Bill_F

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Horatius78 said:
I am also looking for app that will help me with literature search, save, read and organise research papers. I have not bought any app yet but reading in this forum I have heard about a few apps like iAnnotate, Goodreader, papers etc. I also use Athens for searching papers, does this mean that I will not be able to save any research papers and organise them in the iPad?

If you use Safari to log into Athens - is this OpenAthens? - click on PDF of paper so it loads in safari and then click in box with arrow (4th symbol from left top of screen) you can choose to open PDF in installed apps such as the brilliant Papers or Goodreader. If you do google scholar search for paper in Papers and find it and there is Athens log-in provision can usually do it within the App itself and download PDF directly in it. This has advantage of correctly populating the authors, journal etc. at least this is how it works with medical papers and Athens login for NHS.

Bill

Most reactions

Latest posts