What's new
Apple iPad Forum šŸŽ

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random iPad Pro restarts since iPadOS14.2!

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Over the last few days Iā€™ve noticed on a couple of occasions that when I take my iPad Pro off charge and open it up I have to put in my pass number as itā€™s restarted for no apparent reason.
Itā€™s annoying enough having it restart, but I use Dark Mode and it resets it to Light Mode, and Iā€™ve also got a few Shortcuts that change after a restart and I have to re-edit them.
Has anyone else had a problem with random resets? I never really noticed the problem before iPadOS14.2

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I had a few random restarts under 14.0. I also had quite a few screen freeze/pauses and keyboard (hardware) delays. The restarts and screen issues stopped with 14.1. I havenā€™t had any issues at all since 14.2. That is not a 100% guarantee, of course. Other than the keyboard delays the other issues were pretty rare, so it might just be a matter of time before I notice something.

Nothing was big enough to do more than cause me a few seconds of inconvenience.

If you problem persists, all I can recommend is making sure you have a good backup and then reseting the iPad. Every once in a while updating an older OS version will introduce bugs that are in neither the old nor the new version.

You can also try just resetting the settings, in stead of erasing all content and settings. Sometimes thatā€™s all it takes. Though that does mean you have to go through most of your settings and re-tweak them to your preference, itā€™s less time and hassle than doing a full reset and restoring from a backup.

OP
Aerofly

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet, I tried firstly closing all open apps to see if it was one particular app causing the restarts, but after a while it did it again. It never restarts while Iā€™m using it, but it only happens when itā€™s locked (both charging and not charging).

Iā€™ve taken a chance on resetting the settings now, as I really donā€™t want to do a full restore if I donā€™t have to.

So weā€™ll see if resetting does the trick! [emoji1696][emoji1696]

Steve

OP
Aerofly

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well after investigating for several days I think I may have found the answer to my intermittent ā€˜restartsā€™, although I wasnā€™t expecting the outcome.

Firstly I tried closing all of my apps running in the background, and closing them after Iā€™d used them, so that when the iPad was locked, nothing was running. No joy, as it still restarted at random. By this time I was beginning to think I was never going to find the answer.

Now, I have my iPad Pro connected to a Magic Keyboard, however Iā€™m also using a SwitchEasy CoverBuddy, which allows connection via the ā€˜Smart Pinsā€, so I thought Iā€™d take off the CoverBuddy and see what happens.

3 days later and Iā€™d had no intermittent restarts!, so the CoverBuddy went back on, and within 2 hours the iPad restarted while it was locked! Iā€™m at a loss to know why a set of pass through pins could cause the restarts, especially as they look perfectly ok, but that certainly looks like the culprit.

Iā€™ve now left the CoverBuddy off again, and will monitor the outcome, however Iā€™m now very reluctant to put it back on as I reckon thatā€™s been the problem all along.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. At least it's not the expensive iPad hardware at fault.

Try cleaning the iPad and Coverybuddy pins with a pencil eraser, gently. Make sure there is no crud or other stuff built up around the pins.

OP
Aerofly

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Twerppoet, thatā€™s good advice, however I have to say this is my second CoverBuddy, as the first one had a misaligned pin that looked like it was a manufacturing fault, so the pins were the first thing checked and cleaned. Maybe I should have quit after the first one failed?

Another day has gone by with no more random restarts, so things are looking up, but I really need to leave it a bit longer to make sure Iā€™m right in my reasoning.

Last edited:

Most reactions