What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about going with another brand...

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My sister found a site that sells android based 8" tablets for $59 and is considering getting them for the kids this Christmas.
The kids are between the ages of 1 and 4yr old and all love playing on the adults' ipads and iphones.

Can anyone give me any info regarding android based super inexpensive tablets?

1. Will they be able to play games on them?
2. Is there a wide variety of games?
3. Will popular apps like Disney Junior be available on them?
4. Is there an android store I can go to to see the selection of apps?
5. For $59 is this a smart buy or should she just save up for $329 ipad minis.

Thanks

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a difficult one. Right now, I could get a Blackberry Playbook 32Gb for $149 which is a bargain, but I have no need for it, so I don't bother.

The answer to all of your questions is yes, apart from 3 (I don't know, but probably) and 5 (yes, and maybe).

I would stick to Apple myself, simply because I know the OS, but if you don't mind learning the Android OS too, I'd say they would be a worthwhile purchase. My experience is that kids see Apple products as a bit different to run-of-the-mill products, but at the age you are talking about, I doubt they'd know the difference.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I would not rule out Android tablets in general, there are some very nice devices out therel; but at $59 the chances of them being decent tablets of any kind is pretty remote.

Unlike iOS devices, Android tablets are made by just about anyone. There are huge differences in hardware quality and software versions. $59 probably means these are cheap junk that barely runs, or so out of date they will run almost none of the newer software. Most likely all of the above.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I would not rule out Android tablets in general, there are some very nice devices out therel; but at $59 the chances of them being decent tablets of any kind is pretty remote.

Unlike iOS devices, Android tablets are made by just about anyone. There are huge differences in hardware quality and software versions. $59 probably means these are cheap junk that barely runs, or so out of date they will run almost none of the newer software. Most likely all of the above.

If anyone wants the cheapest tablet, here's one from India for $40.00.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-18580131

Most reactions

Latest posts