What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I cannot find how to get the chat feature on gmail? It is on my computers, but completely missing on my iPad. Is it possible the iPad does not support this? I am sure I had it before the 7.0 upgrade happened.
Doris

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are you perhaps talking about Google Hangouts?

I don't remember there ever being a chat feature in Gmail, but the Google+ app used to include Hangouts; which includes text messages, audio and video. Google Hangouts is now a separate app. You can find it in the App Store.

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you perhaps talking about Google Hangouts? I don't remember there ever being a chat feature in Gmail, but the Google+ app used to include Hangouts; which includes text messages, audio and video. Google Hangouts is now a separate app. You can find it in the App Store.

No, I meant gmail. It was always listed on the left side under the inbox etc column.it contains a phone and video icon. As I mentioned, both our laptop comps have it,but it is gone gone from my iPad. Yes, I know about hangout. Thanks for your reply.
Doris

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Chat program worked just like Skype,but it is still free to make phone calls. I sure wish I could retrieve it.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's possible with Google Hangouts, as twerppoet told you. The app is free. You sign in with your Gmail address and password. The icon looks like this:

image-930802297.jpg

And you have the possibility to call your contacts:

image-3032991134.jpg

Did you use the Gmail app, where it was possible before? I use Gmail with Mailbox, where I never had the option to call. It also wasn't possible wih the built in Mail app. The only app where I saw this, was Hangouts.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. I think I know what is going on. Are you using Gmail in Safari or another web browser?

Normally Google detects that you are using a mobile device and re-directs you to the mobile version of their site. It does not have the chat feature. If it ever did, I never noticed. Not that that means much. Google is always changing stuff with little or no notice.

I suppose the actual Gmail app may have also had the chat feature at one time, though again, I never noticed it.

You can force the Desktop version of Gmail in Safari, and it does have the chat and video features. When you have the folder view in the left column, scroll all the way to the bottom. There you will see links t the HTML and Desktop versions of Gmail. Tap the desktop link and you will get the same Gmail site you get on your laptop.

Hold in mind that it may not work perfectly. For instance, scrolling is hit or miss, with the left column pretty much a guaranteed miss.

I recommend you try the Hangout's app and see if it works for you, as I expect it will be a much better experience than the Desktop version of Gmail on the iPad.

Ve7mgg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gmail chat/hangout

Many thanks Twerppoet:
I have joined "hangout" and will see how it works. Haven't figured it out yet,doesn't seem to be any guide or directions.
Doris

Most reactions

Latest posts