What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question About Verizon iPad (the New) Free Tethering

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does anyone know of the tethering data will be unlimited as well? How will this work?

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.1Update From NYC!!! using iPF

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As I understand it, it isn't tethering, it's a mobile hotspot.

It is included free in whatever Verizon plan that you get. Whatever data is used comes off of your plan.

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AlexisW said:

It is included free in whatever Verizon plan that you get. Whatever data is used comes off of your plan.

What's the difference. Mine is called a personal hotspot on my iPhone 4.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AlexisW said:

Oh wait, so it a shared data plan?

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm really a noob at this.

The new iPad has the capability to be a mobile hotspot that will support up to 5 devices. Verizon will not charge extra for the hotspot in the data plan.

BTW - did you hear that they are using homeless people in some places as mobile hotspots? They wear t-shirts that say "I am a mobile hotspot" and they charge when someone wants to use it.

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AlexisW said:
I'm really a noob at this.

The new iPad has the capability to be a mobile hotspot that will support up to 5 devices. Verizon will not charge extra for the hotspot in the data plan.

BTW - did you hear that they are using homeless people in some places as mobile hotspots? They wear t-shirts that say "I am a mobile hotspot" and they charge when someone wants to use it.

Yes, I did. Supposedly, all the proceeds are going to homeless shelters in their area.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I activated Verizon but haven't found where I can turn on the mobile hot spot. It may be because I have cell connection off but can someone tell me where one would do this. On my husband's phone there is an app--haven't found anything on my Ipad yet.

I had Ipad one for two years, wifi only, and we have wifi everywhere so signed up for the 1 GB knowing it would be used very little until I see how it goes. I doubt I will need it except for emerrgencies and when we travel I will up it since I will want to check google maps, probably will try GPS app. There again I have no idea how much data that will use.

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Diane B said:
I activated Verizon but haven't found where I can turn on the mobile hot spot. It may be because I have cell connection off but can someone tell me where one would do this. On my husband's phone there is an app--haven't found anything on my Ipad yet.

I had Ipad one for two years, wifi only, and we have wifi everywhere so signed up for the 1 GB knowing it would be used very little until I see how it goes. I doubt I will need it except for emerrgencies and when we travel I will up it since I will want to check google maps, probably will try GPS app. There again I have no idea how much data that will use.

Probably best to call Verizon or Apple for a quicker response. On my iPhone I have to turn on the personal hotspot, then turn on Bluetooth or wifi to connect to my iPad.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you. Got it. I doubt I will ever use it but wanted to know how. I did use my husband's hot spot on his Palm Pre when we traveled (awful phone but bought because we got free mobile hot spot for two years which I used with my Ipad 1 65 GB wifi. He is getting new Iphone 4S in May but no hot spot and I chose Ipad with 3/4G this time).

Most reactions

Latest posts