What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question About Mail Memory Usage - Help

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to free up some memory on my iPad2. When I go to usage it shows the email app to be using 1.2 gig of memory. That seems huge to me. Why would this be so high? Since I can go to any computer anywhere and access my email folders and email information, I would not think all this would be stored on the iPad and using memory there. I have ATT and sbcglobal.net account if this makes any difference. I do have a few folders and have photos and documents and so forth stored there but I would not think that would use iPad memory... I thought all that would be stored elsewhere and I would have just the app memory in usage ......
And when I look at my iPhone the mail app is 292 MB which seems OK. Why would the iPad be so high - I think something is not right....
Am I wrong?
I would like to free up that memory usage from the iPad. Thanks...

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you get a lot of emails with attachments? Downloaded email attachments can use up a lot of storage space. The only way to free up this storage space is to delete your email account, then add it again.

OP
Panama

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, thank you for taking the time to help .. I appreciate it. Your answer "might" be the issue because I do get quite a few with photos or attachments but they are not sitting there in my inbox. I will open them and then either move the email to a folder or I delete it. Would that still use memory?
I thought that when I put it in a folder that it went to some big ATT server because I can look at the folders from any computer anywhere when I sign in. And I thought if I deleted an email and emptied my trash file that it was gone and no longer using memory. BUT I am it as knowledgeable as you guys about what happens or even how to fix it. Is there a way to do what you recommend without losing what is in my folders. I can lose what is on the inbox and don't care. I guess to sum it up - I don't understand exactly what to do or how to tell if that is the problem. I know that 1.2 gig sure seems like it is too much to be there when my iPhone lets me do the same thing and uses a LOT less storage space.
Would you mind dumbing it down a little for me because I am not as experienced as you and am not sure exactly what to do. Thanks again.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you take a look at an email's attachment, it will be saved to your iPad and use storage space on your device. I suppose you open the photos on your iPad, because the screen is bigger. This means: the email attachments are not opened on your iPhone, thus don't take as much storage space as on your iPad.

To get rid of these saved attachments, either go through your accounts and delete every email with an attachment - possible if there are just a few of them -, or go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - the account/s you set up there, and delete them one by one. Set them up again afterwards. Your Mail app should show less storage space when you've done this.

Hope that helps.

OP
Panama

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SUCCESS!! This fixed it. Deleted account and added back...
Thank you a lot. I am leaving this as a thanks to the wonderful people here. Also to help if anybody ever does a search it will show up with a question, answer and the reader will know that it worked...
I don't understand the logic of the iPad to permanently store something on the hard drive and eat up memory when I opened the photo or video and trashed or moved to a email folder but I guess they have their reasons...
Thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad we could help. Don't hesitate to come back if you have. Any more questions or problems.

Most reactions