What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about buying a Wi-Fi + Cellular model vs. specific carrier option

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
.................................................................................................................. (My "Enter" key works on this forum on my workplace PC, but not on my home PC (Windows 7, IE10)...very weird.) My mobile phone is a "pay-as-you-go" type and I must purchase minutes every 90 days to keep the account active; US$25 for 25 minutes, and I use only 10 minutes per month, at most. So, doing anything on/with my mobile phone other than what I am using it for now (emergencies, infrequent calls, etc.) is not an option. I have never owned any kind of tablet and do not have the experience using one; my decision is simply to have that cellular option covered if I find I need/want it. I still don't know what I'm finally going to do about selecting a carrier, but I have some time to further consider my decision as I wait until the cause and fix of the resprings & reboots is solved. Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

Are you somehow locked in to that $25.00 plan? I have an iPhone 5 and am on T-mobile. I pay a flat $100 a YEAR for 1000 minutes.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Making decisions to purchase products like iPads is straightforward when buying wifi only. The model size and color is the only other choice. Adding cellular at least in Australia however does need extra thought. The type of customers I sell iPads cellular models are business people ie outside contractors, real-estate personal, managers and company owners truck drivers and sales people to name a few. Another group are Australian mature adults or grey nomads whom are traveling around the world. The latter buy mainly cellular minis for portability and having gps is an added benefit. They can also interchange sims in different countries without much effort. in addition they typically have low cost phones like Nokia that are used as phones for calling and text and are not interested in smart phones

Using a phone to tether is a good choice for some regardless if it is Apple, Android or Windows smartphone. Be aware one may need to charge the mobile more frequently as it can drain the battery. Also some windows smart phones do not tether easily so check it out first before buying your iPad. The other item is the added cost of the increase in data usage on a tethered phone so make sure it is not more than $15 a month. The fact is in Australia at least prepay plans for 12 months with 12gb limit costs $180 year which is only $15 a month really not a lot of extra money for the convenience of having it built in. Some users are also locked into phone companies that have poor service and in some cases donot allow tethering.

The third option is mobile portable wifi rechargeable hot spot modem.

9avyve8e.jpg

These come in 2 flavors 3G or 3G and 4g both support up to 5 devices and come with prepaid 3gb data for 30 days included. Cost of these modems range from $50 to $150 depending on brand and models They suit families whom often have several iPads and or any mobile wifi device like e-readers and laptops and are great for traveling as well as in the home. These are also popular with users whom are renting where they do not have access to broadband as they support other devices like printers etc as well. This type of mobile device is available in most countries so check it out.

So there are reasons why users buy cellular instead of going with the above options and that is why Apple sells so many.

The long and short of it is if you are buying an iPad make a list of your needs and if you really need to access the net other than using wifi consider your smart phone or use a portable wifi hot spot modem and finally a iPad with cellular also look at the network monthly costs prepaid or contracts and purchase the iPad which suits you and your needs.

Hope that answers some questions

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Colin is absolutely on mark. Especially on that battery drain while tethering. An iPad as a much larger battery than most phones...better to tether from an iPad than a phone, if you are on the go. I will never buy an iPad without the cellular.

OP
A

argon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you somehow locked in to that $25.00 plan? I have an iPhone 5 and am on T-mobile. I pay a flat $100 a YEAR for 1000 minutes.
.................... No, I'm not locked in - after a month or two grace period, the account simply closes.................... The info you've provided may be a big game changer for me and my wife. I will check out the T-Mobile cell phone rates and re-read these posts about how to tether. We may become a Real Apple Family -- iPad Air, iPod Touch, and two iPhone 5s! I just may buy my iPad from T-Mobile, afterall, to get those free monthly minutes to use as a buffer to possibly having to go to tethering. Thanks! (I'm wondering if upgrading to IE11 will fix my unresponsive Enter Key problem....)

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
.................... No, I'm not locked in - after a month or two grace period, the account simply closes.................... The info you've provided may be a big game changer for me and my wife. I will check out the T-Mobile cell phone rates and re-read these posts about how to tether. We may become a Real Apple Family -- iPad Air, iPod Touch, and two iPhone 5s! I just may buy my iPad from T-Mobile, afterall, to get those free monthly minutes to use as a buffer to possibly having to go to tethering. Thanks! (I'm wondering if upgrading to IE11 will fix my unresponsive Enter Key problem....)

I purchased the iPad Air from Apple. I then went to a T-Mobile store and got the SIM card and free service. NO data comes with my plan for the iPhone. I use wifi only for data. They do have a $30.00 monthly plan that includes data.

Last edited:
OP
A

argon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased the iPad Air from Apple. I then went to a T-Mobile store and got the SIM card and free service. NO data comes with my plan for the iPhone. I use wifi only for data. They do have a $30.00 monthly plan that includes data.
Well, that changes things... I don't see how useful a Smart Phone is without a data plan (this refers to internet use, correct?). When you bought your iPad from Apple, what carrier's SIM card did you have installed? I'd like to buy from Apple, but when I read the T-Mobile requirements for that free 200 minutes it seemed to state that you are required to purchase the iPad directly from T-Mobile. I will stop by T-Mobile and make sure this will fly -- sometimes your biggest impediment is a misinformed and/or uncooperative sales clerk. (Will T-Mobile directly exchange a defective iPad, or are you referred to Apple to solve that problem?)

OP
A

argon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Off topic:

Installed Mozilla Firefox and trying to use the Enter Key:

Success! IE10 and (somehow) this web site have half a bug each that get together and inactivate my Enter Key.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Off topic: Installed Mozilla Firefox and trying to use the Enter Key: Success! IE10 and (somehow) this web site have half a bug each that get together and inactivate my Enter Key.

When you get your iPad you can use the IPF app!

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

OP
A

argon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you get your iPad you can use the IPF app!

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF
I had to look this up --iPad Forum app. Yes! When I get one, I will use it.

I just upgraded / installed IE11 and, as you can see, I have my Enter Key function back. The problem now is that my keystrokes are being dropped if I type too fast, like anything faster than a snail's pace..... Auto spellcheck & correction as I type are s...l...o...w....

OP
A

argon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, it looks like a useful thing to have & use. BTW, somehow after re-logging in here my posts are back up to normal speed -- no slowing down of function.

I'm looking forward to visiting my local T-Mobile store soon. (Well, typing response is still a little slow...?)

PS - Here's the T-Mobile web site regarding those free 200 min/month:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/free-mobile-internet-data

There is some very small printing (disclaimer) in the top section, on the left side. Included is, "No data roaming." What does this mean, exactly, and how limiting is it for real life use?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts