What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PSX emulator help

Makinnard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
irst off i think this is the right place even done a quick serch and found nothing...

ok what i need help is how can i make the psx emulator run faster? im getting very slow loadinf while trying to play a simple game i have tred to reboot ipad and even killing back ground apps.

any help?

thanks,
magnum

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt there is very much you can do. I'm not sure what your expectations and experience with emulators are and I don't know exactly what app and game you are trying to run, but it's very often the case that emulators don't perform as well as you may expect. Especially the more complex consoles. Despite the fact that the PSX is a good age now, it still not a trivial task to emulate it on a device like the iPad, and emulation by its very nature makes things slower than it would have originally been by several orders of magnitude. The platform you are running the emulator on therefore has to have enough grunt to compensate for this. You don't mention which iPad you have, but it could also be that the emulator has not been tuned for your device model yet.

If you've closed all the apps on the iPad and configured any obvious settings for the emulator, then it's probably running as fast as it can. It could well be there just aren't enough resources to emulate the game at an acceptable speed.

That said, if you are using the legitimate paid version of PSX4ALL, performance should be OK depending on the game.

Last edited:

musicman61554

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y is right. I have the new ipad so I cant try the psx emu but a few friends of mine have and it works really well BUT there are some games that just don't run properly on it. Check youtube, there are a lot of people that have posted videos of games running through the psx emu on the ipad. Good luck

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey,

The only PSX emulator I know of that is available in Cydia is PSX4All. I assume this is what you are using?

I have a few questions:

1) Did you pay for it or are you using a cracked version of it? (if it's cracked that might be why it's running improperly)

2) Did you find a copy of the BIOS file for it and place it in the correct folder with the correct file name? (not having a good copy of the BIOS file could be slowing you down and I don't think it would even run if you didn't have one but maybe this is what's going on)

3) Does it do this with every ROM you use with it or have you only tried one? (it could just be the ROM image you're using, maybe a better copy of it would run faster)

4) Are you just talking about the choppy lines that run through the images during animations? (every ROM I have tried with this emulator does this and it's apparently just a con that you can't bypass for now)

Please answer these questions so I can try to help you out. If it isn't one of those issues then I would suggest adjusting the playback settings one by one and testing each one changed then changing them back as soon as one doesn't work.

musicman61554

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, I'm sorry, last time checked it wasn't compatible with 5.1.1. I guess it's now. Well I think I will download it.

Edit - Ok I downloaded it and got it working but looks pretty bad on the new ipad. I checked a couple of forums and youtube and the common problem is the screen looks like it is tearing (which it does) and the scan lines are brutal. Oh well, who knows if there will be an update. Its been awhile.

Last edited:

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
musicman61554 said:
Oh, I'm sorry, last time checked it wasn't compatible with 5.1.1. I guess it's now. Well I think I will download it.

Edit - Ok I downloaded it and got it working but looks pretty bad on the new ipad. I checked a couple of forums and youtube and the common problem is the screen looks like it is tearing (which it does) and the scan lines are brutal. Oh well, who knows if there will be an update. Its been awhile.

Right, that is probably the problem this guy was noticing... It seems like it would be a real nuisance at first, but I played a game for awhile the other day with it, and I pretty well got use to it after a while... Although I would still like to see an update with native display, a fix for this graphical problem, and it would be nice if the developer would allow you to search the directory to load ROMs so you could store the ROMs on an external storage device like an SD card and the load the games directly from it, so as to save space on your iPad, because PSX ROMs usually take up at least 500MB of space.

I emailed the developer and asked him for an ETA on when the native display would be out, because he mentions incorporating it in his next update, but he hasn't responded yet.

Most reactions

Latest posts