What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems viewing PDF files from Exchange 2010

lawadm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me start by saying that we have a process on a Unix server that creates PDF documents, and then uses mailx with uuencode to attach the files and send them to employees mailboxes (Exchange 2010). If they use Outlook to view the PDF files, there's no problem viewing them. But if they use their iPad, which is setup to view emails from the Exchange server, to view the same email with PDF attached, then the screen just goes blank.

Now if they use the iPad to forward the email to themselves, then they are able to view the PDF attachments.

Any ideas why the iPad cannot view the PDF attachment?

TIA,
Jeff

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'd guess it has to do with uuencode, which is not as well supported as it used to be. Apple is well known for abandoning older standards, especially on mobile devices that don't have a lot of extra space for the OS.

It's likely that passing through another round of forwarding, some server somewhere is translating the email to a more modern standard like MIME or yEnc.

And don't ask for details, because that's about as deep as my knowledge on the subject goes. I couldn't set up a Unix server without cracking the books, spending several weeks re-learning what little I knew, and then some. ;)

You could also check the version of uuencode you are using. If it's not the most recent, stable version, try an update.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts