What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems Syncing iPad and iTunes

hardapple1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
stinabinaification said:
Hey everybody, im stina and i just got my ipad yesterday. Its a 16GB first generation... How do i get my itunes to sync with my new ipad? For some odd reason it is malfunctioning. How do i fix this problem?

I got my 64gb iPad 2 last August. iTunes on my PC doesn't recognise it and it will not sync or back up. I have uninstalled iTunes and re-installed iTunes but it has made no difference. When I first connected it it did work but only downloaded my photos (about 2,500 of them) and now I cannot delete any of them! Frustrated or what!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the forum!

Second, I've started a new thread for you. You had originally posted in someone else's introduction thread and that's against forum rules and etiquette.

Third, could you explain a bit more about your problem? In the first part of your post, you say the iPad doesn't connect, but in the second part, you talk about pictures you've put on the iPad. May we have a few more details?

Thanks.

Marilyn

OP
hardapple1

hardapple1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey, thanks for putting me right on the etiquette.

When I first connected to the PC I opened iTunes and it did recognise the iPad and started syncing. I tried to select folders of photos to download from the PC and then it loaded the lot. When subsequently connecting I tried syncing again having removed some of the photos from the PC. Nothing seemed to happen and the iPad did not show up as a device. I did however get the Microsoft Auto play window which I closed.

I then saw on Windows the facility to resolve programme conflicts and that resulted in me enabling a change to the display. Now the iTunes shortcut icon has an Installshield icon on it and when I open iTunes the PC asks me to authorise Apple to make changes to my computer. As this appeared to me to be wrong I uninstalled iTunes and then reinstalled. I found that I had not managed to get rid of the Installshield icon.

Last night I had another go and still could not get iTunes to show the iPad in the left hand pane. I then went through the iTunes diagnostics and tried connecting using all the different USB ports on the PC to no effect. I then restarted the PC as suggested. On restarting it opened in my alternative user (I had set this up to try to use google to sync my contacts and calendar and where I had set also set up iTunes (without the Installshield changes)) and blow me it did see the iPad and advised that I had download apps which had not been uploaded to iTunes and would be lost if I continued without uploading them to iTunes. I started to do this but then then the programme froze and would not respond. This version of iTunes does not have any of the apps or iBooks which uploaded when I first connected!

My conclusion is that I have 2 versions of iTunes loaded on the PC. My intention is to uninstall iTunes from both users and then deleted the second user, then download iTunes again!

I am keen to sync my outlook contacts and diary so that I can ditch the Compaq Ipaq PDA which I have been using for over many years.

I was concerned that no music was transferred to the iPad when I first connected but think that that was because I needed to import the music first from the PC to iTunes.

What do you think?

Rob

Most reactions