What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems connecting via Linksys WRE54G expander

Delboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new here and I am hoping you can help with a problem I have connecting my iPad for some time.
I have a Linksys WRT150N router together with 2 WRE54G expanders.
Everything runs fine on this network and all my Mac's and Iphone have no problems connecting either directly to the router or via the expanders.

The problem is that iPad always tries to connect directly to the router.
In our sitting room where I still have a very weak signal from the router but full strength from the expander I have a Mac mini which is connected via the expander and works perfectly.
However when I start the iPad it comes up with full strength (via the expander) but after a few seconds goes back to 1 bar when it connects to the router.
When I turn Wifi off on and off on the iPad it reconnects to the expander (full strength) but again after a few second back to the router with almost no strength.

I hope you have any suggestions to solve this problem.

Hizhonor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new here and I am hoping you can help with a problem I have connecting my iPad for some time.
I have a Linksys WRT150N router together with 2 WRE54G expanders.
Everything runs fine on this network and all my Mac's and Iphone have no problems connecting either directly to the router or via the expanders.

The problem is that iPad always tries to connect directly to the router.
In our sitting room where I still have a very weak signal from the router but full strength from the expander I have a Mac mini which is connected via the expander and works perfectly.
However when I start the iPad it comes up with full strength (via the expander) but after a few seconds goes back to 1 bar when it connects to the router.
When I turn Wifi off on and off on the iPad it reconnects to the expander (full strength) but again after a few second back to the router with almost no strength.

I hope you have any suggestions to solve this problem.

Such an old thread to bring up but I'm having similar difficulties with my wre54g and iPad. Other PC devices have no problem grabbing a signal from the extender, but the iPad doesn't want to. Was a solution ever posted?

Thanks!

Steve

Nehemiah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem here my W xp hooks right up wireless but her i pad won't use the signal it says it has good signal but won't connect. have checked it in networks and no go.
Next door at Dads house it connects to the same model router instantlly and seamlesly. Any help out there?

Edit: had to update the firmware on the router and now it's all good. strong conection all the time she is in the house.

Last edited:
OP
D

Delboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never got this problem solved.
In the end I replaced all the Linksys equipment by an Apple Airport Extreme router and Airport Express extenders.
I know a costly solution but everything works perfectly again.

Hizhonor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never got this problem solved.
In the end I replaced all the Linksys equipment by an Apple Airport Extreme router and Airport Express extenders.
I know a costly solution but everything works perfectly again.

Thanks for updating the thread. I hate that your only solution was to replace the range extender. Hopefully others will pipe up with more suggestions.

Steve

Most reactions

Latest posts