What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

problem with icloud

fagani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i all,
after some weeks I decided to activate icloud on my ipad

unfortunately I flagged the option "back up" and therefore it is still running and it means 4 GB of memory gone

a friend of mine told me that it is not necessary to make the back up on icloud but I am not able to restore the system (with the usual 5 GB available)

how can I do?

shall i delete icloud app and download it again? is that safe?

thanks a lot

fabio

verwon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wait, what? iCloud isn't an app you can remove, it's a system setting for backing up your iOS device.

Additionally, it's backups don't take any space on your device, since it's stored in the cloud.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To manage (and clean up) your iCloud backups go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup. You can see how much you're currently using for backup storage and turn backups on/off.

iCloudStore1.jpg

Go another layer in to Manage Storage to see what apps are storing Documents and Data. Select the app to a list of it's files, and swipe to delete ones you don't want. It is better to do this from the app itself, rather than risk deleting something you did not mean to, but this is a way around the app if you need it.

iCloudStore2.jpg

Another layer deep, select your device from the top of the app. Under Backup Options you will see what apps are taking up the most backup space (Select All Apps to see more). You can turn off the apps you don't want to backup to tailor the amount of space your backups will take in iCloud. The Next Backup Size field will give you a running total of how much space you are going to use.

iCloudStore3.jpg

Editing this is a bit tedious, since each change requires a confirmation, but you don't have to do it very often.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
F

fagani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks a lot Twerppoet, very useful
cheers/Fabio

dort409m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is apple every going to used adobe player and what is reason they don't used adobe player

Outofmytree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise twerppoet. Once I cleaned up memory storage not only did Pages stop freezing, but the iPad itself immediately became faster. What is interesting about this is that I had 12 Gb spare memory before I reduced back ups to Pages and 1 or 2 other apps.

In upgrading iOS I deleted all my photographs first as suggested elsewhere in this forum and the operation became one of minutes instead of days. Perhaps the issue that I have had with ICloud is that it was constantly backing up photographs which in turn was using all available RAM and slowing down the whole device. Whatever the case, now that iCloud no longer backs up the gajillion useless apps I have or photographs my iPad now runs like a fire engine red Ferrari instead of a Hyundai excel with 300 000 km on the clock.

Thanks again

mygsds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you delete and clear under ipad will the data only be deleted from icloud and will it still be on the ipad? I think my space is filled with videos I have done n my ipad. Need to keep them on my ipad but want to clear out icloud.
Pat

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Under Documents and Data I am not sure. To be safe first turn off the features in those apps, or in the iCloud settings before deleting them from iCloud. However, I don't know of any app that stores videos there.

The only other place I can thing of that you may have videos stored in iCloud is in the Backups themselves. You can delete backups any time you want without affecting the iPad; as long as you don't care that they will not be available for a restore. Optionally you can turn off backup for individual apps. Just turn off the backup for the app with the videos. If it does store any they will not be in the next backup.

When you select your device's backup under iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage; it will show you each app, the space it takes up, and allow you to turn on/off backups for that app.

Photo Stream only saves/syncs photos, not videos.

kc62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mygsds said:
If you delete and clear under ipad will the data only be deleted from icloud and will it still be on the ipad? I think my space is filled with videos I have done n my ipad. Need to keep them on my ipad but want to clear out icloud.
Pat

What if I deleted the whole application iCloud off of my iPad 1? How can I get it back on there

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
kc62 said:
What if I deleted the whole application iCloud off of my iPad 1? How can I get it back on there

iCloud is not an application. You can not delete it. All you can do is sign out in Settings > iCloud.

thurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had an original iPad that I had set up with iCloud, and now it still shows up using the Find iPhone app. I tried to go to the iCloud.com/find page to remove; however, I am always redirected to iCloud/welcome. I have tried signing in with both iPad, and phone, and do not have a Mac. How can I get this device removed (it was reset before I got rid of it)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The site does not work with mobile devices. You can only visit icloud.com from a computer running a reasonably recent browser. It does not have to be a Mac. If it is not your own computer (a library's maybe)make sure you do not tell the logon to remember you, and close the browser when you are done. Better still, clear history and the cache when you are done.

Once there, you'll see a list of your devices. Select the errant device and tap the x (close) icon to remove it. It will warn you that it will reappear if that device ever installs the app again, but that only applies if they also signed in with your Apple ID as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts