What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

problem with ibooks shutting down

laurell99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yesterday I started iBooks on my ipad2 3g 64 latest OS. unfortunately the bookshelves were empty and after 2 seconds it crashed to black and then back to home page. This happened on each occasion I started it. I pluded into into iTunes (latest version) and my books folder showed empty. Today I restored the system (5 hours ) but it's more or less the same except now the books show for 2 mins and then goes to black and then homepage. Whats happened. I've looked thru' the previous but don't fine this problem

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Any chance this happened soon after you got, and opened a new book. A corrupted ebook file has been know to do this. If you have iTunes and sync your books with it, try syncing the iPad again, after deselecting the book most likely to be a problem.

It may be necessary to delete the iBook app and reinstall it. If you restored from a backup, any problems with the app could have easily been restored also. Make sure you have copies (elsewhere) of all you non-iBooks Store books before you do this. iStore books can be downloaded again, for free, if necessary.

OP
L

laurell99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot remember downloading anything newother than newsstand item but it may have been after a sync from a previous?? I removed ibooks and switched off. restarted and new download. Books were back but still crashed. Again deleted and downloaded. At first it crashed but the books were back. After 4 or 5 openings I was able to open the book I had been reading and its been OK so far.
Just tried to open a different pdf book and its back to crashing, dont matter which book they're all the same, maybe this is significant to what you said about a currupt PDF, The .upub open ok, then if I open a PDF it works but if I try to open a pdf first it crashes after 2 secs. Will hook it up to itunes and delete all PDFs and see what happens

OP
L

laurell99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To close out and put on the record.
I removed ibooks and switched off. restarted and new download.
I hooked it up to itunes having all ready deleted all contents and especially PDFs to see what happens.
I synced and all seemed OK
ibooks opened with one book on it's shelves altho' I couldn't find it in itunes.
I then started started to reload all my books, both .epub & PDF
after syncing they appeared on the pad and any choice opened OK

I feel happy it's going to work but I don't know what caused the error in the first place.

One thing I learned from this was "delete the app and try before trying a restore. "

Hope this will be of help to others if they have this misfortune

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the update.

An yes, in the world of computers we often end up fixing things without ever figuring out what was broke. ;)

iBooks comes with one free book pre-installed, btw. It used to be Alice in Wonderland. Don't know what it is now.

Most reactions

Latest posts