What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with Airprint and HP E-print

DefaOmega

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this problem has been posted quite a bit but none of the solutions offered in those posts did anything for my problem.

Here's the details.

I have around 20 Ipad's all Version 4.3.1 and 10 printers all HP OfficeJet 6400a's. The printers are connected through Ethernet to the network and the Ipad's are obviously connected wirelessly. On any of the Ipad's when I try to "Select Printer" it goes through "Looking for Printers" then finally "No Printers Found". I downloaded the HP E-Print app hoping that this would fix my problems, however it displays the exact same results. I have power-cycled all of the printers, Ipads, and routers involved. The printers are visible through the Print Services and through network connected PC's but not the Ipads. And yes for the record the HP OfficeJet 6400a is on the list of AirPrint compliant printers.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
DefaOmega said:
I know this problem has been posted quite a bit but none of the solutions offered in those posts did anything for my problem.

Here's the details.

I have around 20 Ipad's all Version 4.3.1 and 10 printers all HP OfficeJet 6400a's. The printers are connected through Ethernet to the network and the Ipad's are obviously connected wirelessly. On any of the Ipad's when I try to "Select Printer" it goes through "Looking for Printers" then finally "No Printers Found". I downloaded the HP E-Print app hoping that this would fix my problems, however it displays the exact same results. I have power-cycled all of the printers, Ipads, and routers involved. The printers are visible through the Print Services and through network connected PC's but not the Ipads. And yes for the record the HP OfficeJet 6400a is on the list of AirPrint compliant printers.

according to hp the iPad does not work with said printer

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/features/airprint.html

icouldsave.co.uk - help save money and the planet!

OP
D

DefaOmega

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefaOmega said:

Here's the details.

according to hp the iPad does not work with said printer

Apple (United Kingdom) - iPad - Print straight from your iPad with AirPrint.

HP Officejet 6500A e-AiO

And the boxes for the printers says it works.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
DefaOmega said:
HP Officejet 6500A e-AiO

And the boxes for the printers says it works.

you say you have 6400a but link to 6500

if it says it works in the manual, take them to your local apple store and let the geniuses sort it out for you

have you tried updating to the latest firmware?

OP
D

DefaOmega

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whoops meant 6500a in the original post my mistake. I do not have a local apple store, the nearest one is around 3 hours away. Yes latest firmware on printers is installed.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
DefaOmega said:
Whoops meant 6500a in the original post my mistake. I do not have a local apple store, the nearest one is around 3 hours away. Yes latest firmware on printers is installed.

no probs, sometime the iPad corrects your typing, or rather incorrectly corrects your typing

I meant the iPad firmware, newest is 4.3.3, might be worth updating one of the iPads to see if that solves it

if not, where did you buy the printers/iPads? they might have techies that could help, failing that, a 3 hour drive to sort the printing issue out is better than buying new printers

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You said you have the printers connected using Ethernet, yes?

Unless the printers have their wireless radios on, and are joined to the same WiFi network as the iPad, they are not going to work via AirPrint.

OP
D

DefaOmega

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not finding anyway to turn on the wireless radios or any indication that this printer has any wireless capability. Does anyone know how to make this work?

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PrintNshare installed may resolve this. It works in conjunction with another app called WePrint. What I don't understand is why the wifi on the printers isn't working as it should. They can't all be faulty.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
D

DefaOmega

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It appears that the printers do not have any wireless capabilities what-so-ever. Or at least I can't find anyway to enable it if they do. The front just says Ethernet.

I've also tried PrintNShare, however it was before I got these new printers, and it was unable to find any printers on the network.

I'm starting to think I'm either an idiot or that printing on an iPad is impossible.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not impossible. If the printers are not wireless, but the box says they are AirPrint compatible then you got sold the wrong printers. There are two models of the 6500, one ends in E710a, and the other E710n. Only the n model has wireless.

Assuming you ended up with the wrong model, you should be able to exchange them. But check the box carefully. There is a good chance it is the same box, with a discrete checkmark somewhere specifying the exact model.

If the printer is not wireless, and you can't exchange it, all is not lost. But you will need a computer that stays online all the time, has the printer drivers installed, and is on the same network as the iPads.

If you do that you can use the Print'n'Share app along with the computer program available from their site. Another option is a program on the computer that pretends to be an AirPrint printer. For Mac OSX, Printopia is an excellent choice. There is a PC program called Airprint Activator that should work for Windows.

But your iPad must be on the same network as the computer. If the wireless router creates a separate network, one that you can't see the same resources that you computers can, then it won't work.

There are probably ways to work around that, but without knowing more about your network I'd be guessing even more than I am now.

Most reactions

Latest posts