What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with Access to App Store

Georcall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am currently unable to access APP store to update Aps or update settings. After I log in the Ipad notes waiting and after some time states no access available. I have access to my emails and the internet. Help appreciated
Georcall

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry

4 finger swipe up the screen to reveal the multitask bar

Long press on any app until a red minus sign appears

Touch the minus sign on any app you want to close (what you are doing here is removing it from memory and forcing it to start from the beginning instead of from where it was suspended)

Swipe down the screen to return to normal

Touch the App Store icon to try again.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Georcall said:
Problem solved - Turned Ipad off and on again - access restored. Thanks

That can often work, but its worth remembering that a hung up app will start in the hung state even after a power off. Starting the app from scratch is often the only way out.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That can often work, but its worth remembering that a hung up app will start in the hung state even after a power off. Starting the app from scratch is often the only way out.

Pretty sure it won't. Powering down removes all apps from RAM, forcing a clean start. The only difference is the list, and the list is nothing but a list. I'm not aware of any instance where a power down and removing the app from RAM made a difference. One is simply more convenient than the other if only one app is misbehaving.

I admit that I've only tested a few apps, but as near as I can tell an app that remembers it's last state does so wether your clear it from the multitask bar, restart the iPad, or do a reset. Those that start clean, also behave exactly the same in all three cases. I remember reading something in multitask behavior that said the developer was responsible for saving app state when an app closes; so that makes sense.

I've also done restarts, then monitored the RAM while clearing the list. Any difference in RAM was too small to see over the normal fluctuations in RAM use.

But if you've got information to the contrary, I'd love to see it. I'm open to being wrong. :)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Pretty sure it won't. Powering down removes all apps from RAM, forcing a clean start. The only difference is the list, and the list is nothing but a list. I'm not aware of any instance where a power down and removing the app from RAM made a difference. One is simply more convenient than the other if only one app is misbehaving.

I admit that I've only tested a few apps, but as near as I can tell an app that remembers it's last state does so wether your clear it from the multitask bar, restart the iPad, or do a reset. Those that start clean, also behave exactly the same in all three cases. I remember reading something in multitask behavior that said the developer was responsible for saving app state when an app closes; so that makes sense.

I've also done restarts, then monitored the RAM while clearing the list. Any difference in RAM was too small to see over the normal fluctuations in RAM use.

But if you've got information to the contrary, I'd love to see it. I'm open to being wrong. :)

Looks like you're right, TP. I just rebooted with 5 apps in memory. All of them restarted after the reboot. Safari remembered which pages were open, but reloaded them.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Looks like you're right, TP. I just rebooted with 5 apps in memory. All of them restarted after the reboot. Safari remembered which pages were open, but reloaded them.

The iWorks apps remember what you had open too, but you can tell it's reloading them by how long it takes.

My general rule is, if it's just one app, I kill it in the Multitask bar. It's quicker. If the entire iPad seems sluggish, I do the restart. Or if I haven't restarted in a while and can spare the time, restart.

Once in a blue moon I'll empty the Multitask Bar. This is mostly about being able to look and see what apps I've been using. If I haven't killed the multitask bar in a couple of months, any app that isn't in it is a primary candidate for deletion the next time storage gets a bit cramped.

Most reactions