What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem w/ safari viewing pages at apple

jon229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad pro, latest iOS updated, using home wifi and linking to discussions.apple.com from Safari search I get only the title and 'more like this' links. I don't get the discussion content.

This is true for a variety of different discussions.

Alternatively, using a linux desktop running firefox I have no problem accessing the same link through the same network, although it's not via wireless. I have not run across any other problems at other sites on iPad & safari.

Specifically, the link is iPhone: .Mac mail can not send emails over WiFi... | Apple Support Communities

Furthermore, if I go to apple.com and drill down through support to "community answers" I can see an index of queries but cannot view the contents of any of the questions.

Other sections of the Apple support site seem to function properly.

Any ideas? Maybe a bug in the latest iOS update?

Thanks, Jon

OP
J

jon229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Answering my own question. Recently I added a Content Blocker to Safari. Disabling the blocker, Umbra, fixes my problem. Now I have to figure out if I can do something about Umbra.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know about Umbra, but some ad blocker apps allow you to create white lists; lists of sites you don't want blocking to happen on. 1Blocker does this.

OP
J

jon229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found a 'customize settings' section, it's not a white list. I also found that in addition to blocking discussion.apple.com, it blocks this site too! So there is probably a bigger issue than white listing can handle. I also discovered that my iPhone 6, which has same iOS, works fine with Umbra active in Safari. So I must have some setting different in Safari on the iPad. One thing I need to try is turning off private browsing, I know that is on in iPad but not in iPhone.

I need to check other web sites and see how they respond. I only updated the iOS yesterday and have not done much web browsing since then. Now that I have id'd Umbra as a possible problem I need to go looking for setting differences on the iPad vs iPhone. And maybe I will try to contact the developers.

thanks, jon

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. Please let us know what you find out.

I used 1Blocker on this site, briefly, for testing purposes, and it didn't seem to interfere. The site didn't get any faster either, which seems to support the idea that it's the forum software and/or servers, not the ads and 'other stuff', that occationally slows it to a crawl.

After some testing on a few sites I disabled 1Blocker and went back to my old habit of just avoiding the sites that annoy me. I'm mostly keeping it arround for when I have low bandwidth and need every bit of speed I can get. Doesn't happen often.

Most reactions

Latest posts