What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Privacy AND sharing within family? AND dock connector sound problems :(

KrisTi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm so lost & apologize if these Q's seem repetitious; I've been "researching" for hours before giving up to throw them at your feet & pray. I'd be hugely grateful for any advice, info, or similar issues regarding the following Q's:

1) I have an iPad, my son has the Mac and my husband just got an iPod Touch. Until adding the iTouch, it's been easier just to maintain separate apple ID's and accounts ~ meaning we pay for apps separately for each device although we use the same network (and checking account).

...with my husband joining in, buying the same app 3x's for use in the same house seems excessive (a ***ing waste of $$, to be more honest) ~ is this necessary if we want some level of privacy? (I don't want my son looking over my shoulder anymore than he'd like us sifting through his)

2) I *think* I need to update my OS, since some of my apps can no longer be updated (now get messages to connect/sync with his mac in order to continue with app update) ~ current version is 4.3.2, and model is MB292LL (no camera).

I know that my iPad will be backed up on his Mac if/when I do so - is there any simple way to delete, or otherwise protect those folders if upgrade is successful? (Problem is not wanting 18yr old son to have access to, well, everything!)​

3) PRIVACY advice in general ~ I do not understand anything Apple beyond my iPad, which is more like my right arm than my actual right arm, lol. Since we are all on same network, can family members (who DO understand Apple) see or access info on my iPad?

4) SOUND ~ have the "dock connector" error. iPad lost all sound except lock slide upon restarting after hard reset (? holding Home + Power until "slide to power off"). Bought Dock Connector, & it started IMMEDIATELY after 1st use. Tried every solution posted, even vacuum, but no dice ~ anyone have this solved?

...only solution i haven't tried is post stating headphone/speaker has separate volume control ~ anyone heard of this? Post didnt say how to check or access this if it is the problem.

WHEW! ..that's it. Know this is awfully long; your time is genuinely appreciated for reading this, and again, ANY 2¢ worth at LEAST a buck in my book!!

THANK YOU ~ Kristy

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Hi Kristy,
No 1: if there areany privacy issues between you and your husband you should keep individual IDs and pay 2x/ 3x for the same app. If you have two devices with teh same Apple ID both devices can use/install the same Apps and the Apps might keep the data synced via iCloud (I *think* only iOS5). If they don't you can keep the data from the Apps "private". However, there might be Apps you or your husband have *mistakenly* installed and then deleted, what the partner must notnecessarily have to know... using the same Apple ID he/she will!
Having a 17yo daughter and a wife both having an iPod Touch I would suggest to keep the three-ID-model.

No. 2: regarding updating I have no idea.
For the backing up issue - if I am notvery wrong he could just see the files backed up in iTunes, and only if he would log on with your Apple ID - otheres here, please correct me if I'm wrong - I have no experience as I am only backing up in the cloud.

No. 3: only if they are mean and have hacking knowledge.

No. 4: No idea. Anyway, for the hard reset you have to keep holding home & power until the Apple appears (beyond the slide to power off).

There are a lot of pros here around who for sure will be able to help you better and with the other points...

Cheers,
Henning

OP
KrisTi

KrisTi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Henning, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Yeah, I'd definitely rather pay the extra and keep things separate, tho in my case it probably won't help. My iPad was the only privacy I had, but now that he has an iTouch, he'll be reading this tomorrow over coffee.

Don't get me wrong, I have ZIP of the variety of apps, info, etc., that would normally require privacy. My problem, as embarrassing as it is to admit, my husband has and uses the IT knowledge to keep ALL HIS DEVICES secure (VPN (?) passwords, set's sharing privileges (?), etc)

...then peruses Every. Single. Inch of everything I do, write and use. ....and it's BORING! I email 3 people: a (female) friend I've known all my life who lives across the country, my MOM, and my SISTER (????)

...yet it drives me absolutely crazy. SIGH. well, had a nice run with my iPad, back to being mentally & emotionally strip- searched.

THANKS AGAIN, HENNING! You've given me enough info to make a decent attempt to keep my iPad my own, but I played this game on my notebook and always lost. ...he who has the most tech skills wins

OP
KrisTi

KrisTi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oops! ~ forgot to say "Hi Honey!" ...pick up milk on your way home if you stop anywhere? Thanks!

OP
KrisTi

KrisTi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad I didn't offer you to come over and set the privacy settings up for you ;o)

LOL - No, but you really made me laugh :)

...and it may not be the first time, but certainly a rare thing nonetheless, that "LOL" was literally meant as: That made me laugh out loud

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Henning, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Yeah, I'd definitely rather pay the extra and keep things separate, tho in my case it probably won't help. My iPad was the only privacy I had, but now that he has an iTouch, he'll be reading this tomorrow over coffee.

Don't get me wrong, I have ZIP of the variety of apps, info, etc., that would normally require privacy. My problem, as embarrassing as it is to admit, my husband has and uses the IT knowledge to keep ALL HIS DEVICES secure (VPN (?) passwords, set's sharing privileges (?), etc)

...then peruses Every. Single. Inch of everything I do, write and use. ....and it's BORING! I email 3 people: a (female) friend I've known all my life who lives across the country, my MOM, and my SISTER (????)

...yet it drives me absolutely crazy. SIGH. well, had a nice run with my iPad, back to being mentally & emotionally strip- searched.

THANKS AGAIN, HENNING! You've given me enough info to make a decent attempt to keep my iPad my own, but I played this game on my notebook and always lost. ...he who has the most tech skills wins

If your computing needs are limited and privacy is a prob, you could use synch only to cloud, and make sure he doesn't have your passwords. There are free cloud accounts such as Dropbox and SugarSync. Then he'd have to hack your accounts to see your stuff.

My husband is an IT freak and could see everything I do online, and I don't have concerns or interest about what he does online, or him knowing what I do. But I would consider it an insulting lack of trust if either of us went checking up on each other.

Most reactions

Latest posts