What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 itunes accounts on 1 macbook?

Emaroyds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope I have chosen the right place to pose this question (apologies if not)!
I'm off to Florida in a fortnight and I'm looking forward to upgrading from IPad 1 to 2.
I'm wondering... I would like to be able to begin using the IPad immediately after purchase and would therefore need to sync it to my iTunes account - here in lies the problem!
My husband's macbook is linked to his itunes account (my account is linked to my iMac - not at all portable!!) but I would like to sync my new iPad to my own account. Is it possible to have 2 accounts on the same mac? (at least for a short while) I know we can have 2 libraries on the same iTunes account but I would prefer to keep our content separate. I know i can open my itunes account on his macbook by logging him out and me in but this does not access everything e.g. (music uploaded from CD's, iCal, contacts etc). I'm hoping if it is possible that I can transfer everything from my iTunes account on my iMac to an account on his MacBook and then bring the MacBook to the states and do a set up as normal on the new iPad.
Questions - will I be able to set up my account on his mac without affecting his account?
- will I be able to access the UK iTunes site from the US (does this even matter?)?
- will a US iPad only work with a US iTunes account? (no point buying one in the US if so!!)
- how do I transfer all the stuff from my itunes account on my iMac to a duplicate of my account (if this is possible) on my husband's mac -
is it just a case of syncing everything to my current iPad (from my iMac) and then backing it up to my iTunes account on his mac
(presumably if so the new ipad2 will then just happily sync to my iTunes account on his macbook when I plug it in to set up?
- will transferring everything from an iTunes sync interfere with my husbands information (e.g. Contacts/ calendars etc - i don't want to
end up with our information being combined and then having to manually separate it again)?
I hope I explained myself well enough! If none of the above seems possible/ reasonable please advise - I don't want to end up causing a massive workload salvaging all our individual content!!!
Would really appreciate your advise, I'm a apple fan but not really very apple savvy!!!
Many thanks in advance!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You need to be logged into the MacBook with an administrator account. Chances are that if the MacBook just turns on with no login option, this is already happening. You'll need an administrator password. This is the same one that you use when adding new programs to the MacBook, or the half dozen other things that it asks for a password for.

Open System Preferences, and go to the Accounts page. If the lock at the bottom is locked, you need to click it and enter the password.

Now tap on the plus sign and add a new account. There is no reason to give this account administrator privileges. Just keep it standard.

Now tap on the Login Options at the bottom of the Account list.

Turn off Automatic login.
Display login Window as 'List of Users' unless you want to enter both username and password to log in.

Now you will have to log in each time the MacBook is started. You may also be prompted to log int when the laptop has gone to sleep.

But you will have a separate area, and a separate iTunes account that can be synced with the iPad, ah, separately. Be sure to start iTunes, go to the Store menu and authorize the computer with your account.

When you decide you no longer need this account you can go back into the MacBook and remove it, or not. Be sure to de-authorize the computer (your login and account) when you are done. You only get five authorization slots, and it can be troublesome to reset them if you accidentally go over the limit.

OP
E

Emaroyds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much, that's really detailed - just what I was looking for!!!

Most reactions