What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Priting To HP Officejet 6500A Plus E710n

srmsrm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad2 and iPhone 4S. I just purchased a HP Officejet 6500A Plus e-All-in-One Printer - E710n from Costco. On the box it said it was AirPrint capable. From Apple's site, it says it is AirPrint capable. I cannot get it to work.

I have looked at many threads from any sites (including this one) hoping for an answer, but no luck to date.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software on my PC. I have verified and checked on the printer the firmware is up to date. I have reset my router, removed security (just as a test). I have verified all items (including the printer) are all on the same network. I have also tried turning off my iPhone / iPad (reset it). I have tried it on my iPhone 4S and iPad2 but no luck. Neither the iPhone 4S and iPad2 can find the printer.

I have no problem printing to the printer via wireless with two separate computers (both PCs). I have also verified my router firmware is updated (it is a Trendnet TEW-652BRP).

I read somewhere maybe the router may not support Bonjour (as I need to turn on wan multicast filtering). I don't think my router has that option, but before I go and buy a new router to try that option, I was hopeful for some other options.

I am at a total lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

OP
S

srmsrm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK. Last night I was playing with it some more and then it started to work. On my iPhone 4S I was able to see the printer, however, on my wife's iPhone 4S nor our iPad 2 was I able to see the printer. This lasted for about an hour and then when I tried again later, none of the iPhones not the iPad 2 was able to see the printer.

Any ideas? I'm leaning towards the router, but just not sure.

Shawn

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried assigning static ip adresses to the units using the router ( iPad, iPhones, printer, etc)? That seemed to work for me, though I have a newer router. Good luck.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't help with setup details, because my husband did the setup, but he has our HP Officejet 6500A set up to print wirelessly via our Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router. We've not had trouble printing since we got the printer about a year ago, using six iDevices (iPads, iPhones and a touch).

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, I now vaguely recall that some people were having trouble with their printers because they first needed firmware upgrades (on their printers). Might be worth checking with HP. I'd start with its website.

quake5254

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the same printer last year in the US and I never had any trouble connecting it with my ipad2 and laptops. Now that I have it here with me in the Philippines, I'm still getting a good connection using Linksys router. We use The same router in the US. I just followed the directions on installing the software. You may have missed or skipped something. Wish you luck.

OP
S

srmsrm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All. thank you for your advice. Tried all the above suggestions, but no luck. Went and purchased a new wireless router and it just worked. Must of been the router.

I had another question, but not sure to ask here or maybe at HP.

Currently my settings are the printer turns off after 15 minutes. I also do not have the screen saver mode turned on.

I have read that these wireless printers once they go to sleep may not be able to be found since either the IP address may change or just because they are off.

I will be printing from either a Windows 7 computer, iPad2 or iPhone 4S.

Even though its working, should I set my static IP address on the printer? Is it required since the IP address may change and in turn the devices can't find it.

Should the IP address be set at the printer or router or both?

If I do set the static IP address, will this resolve the printer not being found when it goes to sleep (and being printed to), or do I also need to turn off the power save mode and turn on the screen saver? However, if I turn off the power save mode and turn on the screen saver, I'm assuming the IP address will not change.

If I do turn off the power save mode and turn on the screen saver, will this casue damage to the printer with it always being on? I'm guessing the mechanincs inside the printer are not always running, but just didn't know.

Shawn

Last edited:

Contra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadjunkies.net
Wow I have a Brother MFC-J615W wireless all-in-one
I Downloaded an app for it and print perfectly and it is just a wireless not AirPrint from Apple...that is strange to hear...sorry

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The ip address is set by the router. You can't set it in the printer, you can only see what it is at the time. If you know how to access you router settings, it's not difficult to set the static ip address. Leave it for a while. If it doesn't work for you, just go back into the router settings and release the address.

OP
S

srmsrm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. All seems to be working now. I set the printer to go into stand by mode and no screen saver. After 15 minutes, is goes to sleep. However, each time I have tried to print to it (even after all night the printer being off), it now just works. I did not have to set my IP address on the printer or on the router. The printer wakes up and just prints and then goes back to sleep.

BigIan279

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't print from my iPad 2, to my HP OfficeJet 6500 E710n-z via my router (HH3)

I can't print from my iPad 2, my HP OfficeJet 6500 E710n-z printer is wireless enabled, but it is connected to my BT Infinity Router (British Telecomm Hub 3.0 Media Gateway {HH3}) via an Ethernet cable. This disables the printers' wireless functions, so I can't connect directly via Airprint.

So I want to print via my router. I can connect and browse with my iPad via my home hub. But when I try to add it via "add a device" to my home network I cannot be seen on my PC. I understand that I need to make my iPad visible, but can't find how to do this on it.

I'm running Windows 7 32bit.

Can anyone please help?
thanks

peterdowning

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just connected a HP 6500 E709a via ethernet to my router. I am printing via the free HP ePrint app or Print Agent Pro.

Printing is done via the 'Open in...' Action button.

I installed both as the HP ePrint app doesn't appear as an option with every application's 'Open in..' menu, whereas Print Agent Pro seems to be there with most.

I probably don't need the HP version now, but it's free and doesn't take up a lot of space.

Print Agent has a Lite version that you can install to test compatibility before purchasing the Pro version.

Maybe either/both the apps will work with your printer and apps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

peterdowning

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, I think you may be able to scan to your device by installing the free HP Printer Control app too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most reactions

Latest posts