What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing Problems

shakey55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has only recently started, possibly after updates.

I have an older printer - a HP OFFICEJET 8600. It works well and does what I need it to do at home.

My wife and I print with it regularly via wireless connections.

Our MacBook and HP laptops print normally, but now when we use our iPads and iPhones they print the document very small, about one eighth of the size (see below picture).

IMG_2427.JPG

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This has only recently started, possibly after updates.

I have an older printer - a HP OFFICEJET 8600. It works well and does what I need it to do at home.

My wife and I print with it regularly via wireless connections.

Our MacBook and HP laptops print normally, but now when we use our iPads and iPhones they print the document very small, about one eighth of the size (see below picture).........

Hello Shakey.. - tell us: 1) If your laptops are printing wirelessly (or cabled); 2) What OSes are installed on your laptops; 3) What iOSes are installed on your iDevices; 4) Did your iDevices ever print normally, e.g. with a previous iOS version; and 5) What have you done to try to correct the problem?

In the meantime, check this HP Community Discussion, if not already done; I did not read the responses (don't own an HP printer), so not sure if the similar issue(s) was solved? If not already done, power recycle your modem, router, and reboot your iDevices (using both the ON-OFF & HOME buttons together). You might also want to check the iOS App Store to see what new HP may offer relative to their apps. Good luck - Dave :)

OP
S

shakey55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks giradman.

Since reading your reply I ha checked everything and this is the result

HP Laptop - windows 10 - printing [emoji818]️

MacBook - macIS High sierra - printing [emoji818]️

iPad Mini - 9.3.5 printing [emoji818]️

iPad Air - 11.2 - printing - X as shown in picture

iPhone 7 - 11.2 - printing X as shown in picture

iPhone 8 s - 11.2 - printing X as shown in picture

So it appears that the problem is the IOS 11.2 update.

So how do I work out if it is the IOS version or is it the printer that does not like IOS 11.2

Can you help or steer me in the right direction to rectify

OP
S

shakey55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I’ve just finished reading a post on a HP forum that has been going for nearly three months relating to my exact problem and it appears it a HP problem. People on there have been dealing with HP and APPLE and appears each company is blaming each other.

It does not appear to happen with other model computers and other brand computers.

It appears that the way others have fixed the problem is buy another printer.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’ve just finished reading a post on a HP forum that has been going for nearly three months relating to my exact problem and it appears it a HP problem. People on there have been dealing with HP and APPLE and appears each company is blaming each other.

It does not appear to happen with other model computers and other brand computers.

Hi again Shakey.. - as suggested check for a firmware upgrade, probably not available; and 'power recycle' your machines as I listed in my previous post. I did read a few of the posters on the link given and there seems to have been no resolution w/ that printer despite being 'Air Print' compatible. Also, I just tested my iPad w/ 11.2 on our 2 printers (Canon Pixma & Brother laser, both w/ 'Air Print') and did not have an issue.

In the past, I've responded to a lot of printer questions on this forum and also on the MacForums, and occasionally (like other posters), I have recommended buying a new printer, so not that drastic a suggestion; not sure how old you printer may be or what its original cost, but at times the only solution. When I switched to Macs in the spring of 2013, I needed to buy the 2 printers above for best compatibility. Good luck - Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

That’s too bad, but at least now you know.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dealing with ho is a major problem to say the least. Like girdman said if the printer is old it’s not worth the time and energy trying to sort it. The bottom line is the latest printers are fully compatible with iOS. If you really need Colour then then look at other brands line canon 5 cartridge printers. It’s your call

Most reactions

Latest posts