What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prinder / scanner for iPad

Mr. Mag00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi...
I can't make head nor tails of this forum! :) I'm sure I posted but now I can't find the post. I always copy the URL of the finished post to a special file on my computer but that URL did not take me back to my post on this forum! So I guess I'll post one more time.

I'm looking for a portable printer / scanner for a new iPad Pro. Can anyone direct me toward something like that? (There's no WIFI where it'll be used.)

Do I have to get TWO items? A printer plus a scanner?

Any help with this will be very much appreciated. :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

I've checked your posting history and your post in this thread is your first post, there are no previous posts anywhere. Printers for the iPad must be AirPrint compatible. There is no need for a WiFi network as the printer and iPad establish their own WiFi connection with each other. About AirPrint - Apple Support

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi...
I'm looking for a portable printer / scanner for a new iPad Pro. Can anyone direct me toward something like that? (There's no WIFI where it'll be used.)

Do I have to get TWO items? A printer plus a scanner?

Any help with this will be very much appreciated. :)

Hello Mr. Mag00 - welcome to the forum! :) As already explained and linked, AirPrint can be used for your printing purposes - how 'portable' do you need the printer to be? A multi-function (MF) ink jet printer offers many features including printing & scanning - I have two AirPrint printers, a Canon MF color ink jet & a B&W Brother Laser, but these are certainly not portable.

As to scanning, a dedicated scanner or a MF machine can be used, but there are plenty of 'scanning apps' (just google that term in quotes at the App Store) for the iPad - I occasionally use Scanner Pro (shown below) - the iPad's camera is used, so the quality of the generated 'image' may not be what you need, so another question? Dave
Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 12.57.15 PM.png

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I can activate the scanner in my Samsung C460 combo printer using the Samsung Mobile Print App. I just place a document on the scan bed, click 'Scan' on the iPad and the scanned image gets sent directly to my iPad. I can also print to the device.

But, it's FAR from portable. The Scanner Pro 7 App would be the best option for portability.

OP
M

Mr. Mag00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most of the time, my wife will leave the devices at her office... but sometimes she'll bring them home. They can't be "that big," because she doesn't have an office of her own to put things wherever she wants.

And the copies have to be "pretty good." Sized properly, straight, not looking like a picture from a phone but a copy from a computer printer.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Most of the time, my wife will leave the devices at her office... but sometimes she'll bring them home. They can't be "that big," because she doesn't have an office of her own to put things wherever she wants.

And the copies have to be "pretty good." Sized properly, straight, not looking like a picture from a phone but a copy from a computer printer.

Thanks for the additional information - I'm not sure if your wife needs color vs. just B&W, but MF printers w/ scanning/printing/AirPrint/etc. features are really cheap (the ink 'kills you' for the color ones!), so one option is to simply buy two machines and keep one at home and one in the office, if there is room for the latter - if you like that idea, simply visit some local office stores and look at the various brands/models.

Now, there are plenty of 'portable' scanners & printers - as a starter, go to Amazon and search on 'portable printer' and also on 'portable scanner' - you will see plenty of brands/models - from my reading over the years, the 'quality' of the output of these portable devices is usually inferior from the larger desktop models, but there will be plenty of reviews to peruse. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts