What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor internet performance since ios6

superhoops

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since updating to ios6 I have found it painfully slow to browse the internet. Pages take ages to load. And streaming videos keep stopping. I have done a speed check which shows 8mb which is approx what is has always been. Is it just me?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This happened to me also. I did three things: 1) removed all apps in the multitask shelf, 2) held down the sleep button until power slider came on, slide to off, waited a couple of seconds and repressed sleep button until I got back to home screen. 3) pressed and held the sleep button and the home button until the iPad went to black and the white Apple appeared and then brought you back to the home screen.

I hope this helps.

DenAtTheDBM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try resetting the network. Settings->General->Reset->Reset Network. I found I was having similar problems with my pocket wifi stick. I thought the ISP was slowing my connection because I'd gone over the usage limit. When I found out I hadn't gone over the limit, I looked for other solutions. I realized the slow down started around the time I "upgraded" to iOS 6, so I tried resetting the network. This worked.

OP
superhoops

superhoops

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, does seem somewhat better thanks

cjhotcorner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just followed your recommendation and it has improved my speed tremendously! Thanks for your help. happy New Year!

caroleshep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
, , 3 with IOS 6 loses wifi signal repeatedly every day. I pick up my ipad1 and that is working with my wifi. The problem must lie with my ipad3, perhaps the ios 6 . Anyone else having these problems?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
caroleshep said:
, , 3 with IOS 6 loses wifi signal repeatedly every day. I pick up my ipad1 and that is working with my wifi. The problem must lie with my ipad3, perhaps the ios 6 . Anyone else having these problems?

Have you tried the solutions mentioned in the earlier posts in this thread?

Nikhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ernie_C said:
Resolved for many with 6.0.2 of IOS.

Lol...what.The iphone 5 and mini come with iOS 6 then how did it get resolved.i don't think the factory updated phones have problem

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol...what.The iphone 5 and mini come with iOS 6 then how did it get resolved.i don't think the factory updated phones have problem

What he means is that the recent iOS 6.0.2 update that was only available for iPhone 5 and iPad Mini fixed a WiFi issue. iPhone 5 and iPad Mini shipped with 6.0 and there have been 2 updates since (6.0.1 and 6.0.2).

Previous devices like the iPhone 4S, iPad 3 can only upgrade to iOS 6.0.1.

Last edited:

Ernie_C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This problem seems to be happening for most of them after iOS 6 update. Reseting the network could give some better solution. Follow the steps given below to reset your network

Settings->General->Reset->Reset Network

You can see a better difference in internet speed after performing this. To ensure it have a speed test from ...l . Good luck.

...or better - install IOS 6.1 which has resolved ALL of my wifi issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Windstang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm also having 3G connectivity issues after taking the 6.x.x (now at 6.1.3) updates. Prior to the 6.x.x updates 3G speed was good. I tried resetting the network settings as mentioned above. Seems to help for about 30 seconds. Occasionally things work OK. Went to the Apple store and they replaced the IPad and the Sim card. Same problems - I get a message saying "Unable to activate the cellular network". The signal seems to pulse between 1 and 3 bars over a few seconds. The Iphone works fine accessing the same 3G carrier. The signal is a bit weak but wasn't a problem before the update and Apple say I can't go back to a previous revision - too bad I wasn't doing regular backups.
Any other ideas? I think it is the IOS but of course the genius's don't know anything about it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried resetting your router or have you tried a different router. Sometimes that has been known to help.

Most reactions