What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG Files?

Frank77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife sent me some pics through her iPhone 4S. When I received the pics on my iPad 2, they were all PNG files. When she normally sends me pictures they are in JPEG format. I can still open the files with no problem. Upon investigation, my wife said the only thing she did different was "zoom in” when taking the pics. I thought it was my iPad that was converting the files but, I guess, her phone converts them to PNG when zooming. Perhaps this is the wrong forum to ask, but am I correct?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
PNG is an uncompressed image file; JPG is a lossy compressed image file.

Not quite accurate. PNG. is compresses, but it uses a lossless compression. That means the file is smaller than the actual dippsplayed image, but ther is no degradation of the image. It is a replacement for the older GIF files. Portable Network Graphics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JPG by comparison is lossy compression. You can make the files much smaller, but the smaller they get the more degrdation ther is in the image.

I'm not sure what is going on with the OP's images. Just zooming in with the camera should not change the format. I'll see if I can figure out what's going on tomorrow, if I remember.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of - did she take a screenshot of the picture that was zoomed in? The iPad, when taking screenshots, makes the picture a PNG file.

That's the only way I know of to change a JPG file to a PNG file. Well, on the iPad... :)

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I did some tests last night, and Marilyn's scenario is the only one I found that resulted in a PNG file.

I zoomed in with the camera app. jpg
I cropped in the Photos app. jpg
I cropped, filtered, and other wise abused a photo in the Flickr app. jpg

I zoomed into a picture while viewing it in Photos and took a screen shot. png

All of these I emailed to myself to ensure that Mail itself did not convert anything.

If you don't know how a screen shot is done, you just press the home and power at the same time, briefly. The resulting picture, in png format, will be saved to the camera roll in the Photos app.

OP
Frank77

Frank77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bingo! After asking my wife if she took a screen shot of the image she said yes.... Thus making it a .png file. Thank you for your replies. Mystery solved!

Last edited:
OP
Frank77

Frank77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
And we didn't even need those meddling kids, or their dog. ;)

Fortunately, the fictional world is a tad more exciting.

Most reactions

Latest posts