What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Explain Usage Discrepancy ... Thanks

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16g iPad2 version 5.1.1......It does fine for me and my use...I admit that I do not use a lot of memory on the IPad. I use it for email, books from library, newspaper, searches and some photo storage and use some Safari. I seldom ever use my laptop anymore. The iPad is so easy.

My question is this.....when I go to Settings and then General and then Usage and Storage drop down ....if I see the list of all the apps and their memory taken...it says at the top that 6.2GB used and 7.6GB available. When I add up ALL of the apps on the drop down list under storage it ONLY comes up to about 2.5GB give or take a little.......this does not add up. I wonder why
Also if I go to General in tools it says I have capacity of 13.8GB available and available 7.6GB.

This came up because I wanted to see if the iPad was slowing down. So I thought I would check if I was using a lot of memory. Then I started adding things up and cannot figure why they do not add up....I am sure it is just something I do not understand. I am just trying to learn. Thanks for an explanation.

Phil

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What's the "other" usage say? If you check that you might see the discrepancy.

Just check it via iTunes and see what it says.

Last edited:
OP
Panama

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally some help.Thank you.. I am just trying to learn where all this memory is being used. I do not know how to do what you asked at iTunes I guess....maybe dumb it down some....What bugs me is that according to the usage numbers I am using about 6GB or so but when I ADD ALL the app usage on the dropdown right below the total ...it is no where near that.
How do I find this "other" you are referring to? Many thanks for trying to help.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
The usage setting you are looking at only refers to App data, it does not include the size of the app itself. That will account for some of your missing total.

When you plug your ipad into itunes you will see a graphic bar along the bottom when you click on the ipad, this will show you how much space is taken by different things.

Also there is no need for the 'Finally some help' comment, you got a reply in just over 6 hours, the moderators usually recommend waiting at least 24 before start to worry about replies.

Most reactions