What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play subtitle in video

piano009

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to play subtitle files (.srt) in video but have not figure out how to add this when playing mp4 in my ipad. Can someone help?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The bottom line is that the iPad doesn't do subtitles so it will need some effort to get them working.
I noted the following which involves using Handbrake (free for Mac and Win).

"HandBrake can only burn dvd subtitles into the video when using the mp4 format. mp4 only supports text subtitle tracks and dvd subtitles are bitmaps. If there is a closed caption track on the dvd, those are text and can be included as a text subtitle track in mp4. Your only options are:
1. Use something like SubRip to extract the subtitles and convert to SRT. Then import the SRT into handbrake.
2. Download an SRT with the subtitles you want from someplace like opensubtitles.org and import the SRT into handbrake."

This was something I copied for reference but sadly forgot the attribution.
Tbh I didn't have much luck when I tried it.....

Suggest you try reencoding the video with fixed subtitles using a program like subtitle workshop before converting and or using Air Video.

lumberjak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try Oplayer, they have subtitle support now. plus they'll also do avi and other formats. It's about $4.99 on the App store and my most used video player now.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Excellent. I must have missed this. Have a number of Japanese films with subs I want to put on my machine. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
P

piano009

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oplayer does not play .srt directly. It looks like you have to convert .srt to .sub so Oplayer can recognize.

Zenitsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know air video supports subtitles, that's another option.

danthonyblack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbreak your iPad, then go to the cydia store and download an app called XMBC. It can truly play just about any video file, and it will either automatically detect the .srt file if it's in the same folder, or you can browse and select it.

Most reactions