What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Converting MKV to Ipad with Subtitles

wonderflex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I watch anime with Japanese audio in the MKV format, which often has the subtitles embedded and played through vobsub.

Is there any way to convert the MVK for use on the iPad and having the subtitles hard encoded onto the video?

I know that many people use the program Handbreak, but it does not let you select the subtitle file when it is embedded in the MKV.

Subtitles really are the key, as I've already figured out how to choose the correct audio source (when more than one is present), but for the life of me I can't get the subtitles to hard-code over the video.

Any help is appreciated.

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It works for me with Handbrake. I can select subtitles allright and they are displayed as intended.

OP
W

wonderflex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really?

When I take an MKV file, that when viewed in Media Player Classic required vobsub for subtitles, into Handbreak I see the options for English or Japanese audio, but under subtitle tab I don't have any selections.
There is just the one that talks about detecting foreign audio, and even when I select it I end up with a preview that has Japanese audio, but doesn't have subtitles.

I'm using the Windows version and selecting "apple universal."

seecoolguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really?

When I take an MKV file, that when viewed in Media Player Classic required vobsub for subtitles, into Handbreak I see the options for English or Japanese audio, but under subtitle tab I don't have any selections.
There is just the one that talks about detecting foreign audio, and even when I select it I end up with a preview that has Japanese audio, but doesn't have subtitles.

I'm using the Windows version and selecting "apple universal."

to get my subtitles what I did was to also use mkv tools, then just extract the subtitles, while it sucks that you have to run another pass it takes only a few extra minutes to process ...

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now handbrake is updated, add the iPad, iPhone 4 and Apple TV 2 output, you can set iPad as output directly.
Well, there are subtitles button you can use to select. Just get the new version, and here is it wiki: HandBrakeGuide ? HandBrake
But should pay attention to that Handbrake doesn't handle DTS audio tracks or single VOB files. If you have a DVD-ROM with random video files saved on it (AVI, MPG, WMV, MOV, etc), Handbrake won't be able to convert these files, I suppose you would need some tools like iFunia multimedia tools to be a complement.

cedesse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's actually the MP4 container that can't handle DTS sound. I'm not sure if the more advanced M4V container can.

... But unlike the other container formats MKV can handle ANYTHING. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts