What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play MTS 1080 file without conversion on IPad3?

Adeimos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've just bought an Ipad 3 and I wasn't yet able to find a decent application capable to play an MTS movie at 1080i natively. All the players I've tried so far (free and commercial) offer a really poor experience. For the rest, I found a lot conversion tools, but I don't really want to convert my entire camera footage archive! It's quite frustrating to have such a nice display without the possiblity of using it...
Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

OP
A

Adeimos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the way, I'm using a Sony DSC-HX9V, I didn't imagine it was a so daunting task to see its movie shots on the ipad :confused:

OP
A

Adeimos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my opinion, You need the conversion. If you are interested in conversion or converter,you can try the Socusoft DVD to iPad converter.

Hi elaine,
Thanks but my archive is really too big for a conversion, it will be an huge waste of time and space.

DanBarraclough04

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Adeimos said:
Hi all,
I've just bought an Ipad 3 and I wasn't yet able to find a decent application capable to play an MTS movie at 1080i natively. All the players I've tried so far (free and commercial) offer a really poor experience. For the rest, I found a lot conversion tools, but I don't really want to convert my entire camera footage archive! It's quite frustrating to have such a nice display without the possiblity of using it...
Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

I don't suppose you've tried apps such as AcePlayer or FlexPlayer? I don't know if they support the file type you need but it's worth a shot I suppose :)

OP
A

Adeimos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally an interesting comment :eek: I've tried some players so far, but with very poor results for 1080 movie. I'll check AcePlayer thanks

tanjoven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just so pissed off right now and want others to learn from my very stupid, rash mistake. I was about to go on vacation and I thought everything had been copied over to my macbook because of the "all-inclusive" (what I erroneously thought) import into the ever-failing iphoto (an app which I've come to really, really hate). So after I had done that with all my sd cards from my cameras (I have 3), I proceeded to delete everything from the sd cards. Anyway, long story short, the mts files from my Panasonic FZ150 were deleted without ever being copied to my macbook. So I'm back from vacation and realized my mistake. So, if you want to convert your mts files to m4v, then use handbrake. It's a free app and I just tested it and it works perfectly. I just HATE, HATE COMPANIES WHO SCREW YOU OVER WITH THEIR MF PROPRIETARY SH**! Excuse my french, but I'm so very ticked off right now! At least, I didn't lose the vacation videos of my son on the trapeze, but I did lose every other video since I got the camera in January. POS!!!!!!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just checked, and that wasn't French.

This does serve to remind us all to be extremely careful, and to check that the backup actually exists before deleting the original. Sorry to hear about your videos.

tanjoven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, I tried FlexPlayer and although it does appear like it will play the mts video, the test sample I used had serious problems (video did not advance and was frozen, even though audio was fine and when it fast forwarded, the pixels all mixed together into a mess). So I would stick to handbrake and convert it to a m4v file, which I just copied back onto my ipad 3 and it worked fine.

tanjoven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin. I really only lost footage of one 3 ring circus and some videos of various kids events with Superheroes. I'm mainly pissed off at myself for deleting the videos and then emptying the trash (for some reason, it wouldn't show the full available space on the sd cards until I emptied the trash). So I was even more upset since there really is no easy way to retrieve it and I'm so mad I emptied the trash when that really wasn't necessary. So I'm venting in a way right now. I should know better. I lost the first 9 months of pictures and videos of my son when I thought time capsule had been backing up but hadn't been since the default is to turn it off after a new hard drive is installed (which apple did because it was faulty 3 times before giving me a new macbook). What no one mentioned was that time capsule defaults to off so I lost everything :( I should have learned from that lesson this past time, which I did not unfortunately. So I'm here broadcasting my stupidity so that others may be warned!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had to admit a similar faux pas myself. That's why I always give the advice to always have more than one copy of anything you care about, and in different places.

In your case, that wouldn't have helped, but there's no harm in reiterating the warning.

tanjoven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyway, my point was that I thought I had been backing up to my time capsule since I thought I had the movies copied on my macbook by importing into iphoto. I don't like to use that app much so it was my fault to have assumed it would import the movies from my FZ150. I should have done a hard copy off all the files onto a folder on my mac, which is one major pitfall on iphoto since it's not always apparent that it copies all the files on to your mac. I will never rely on the crappy iphoto import again! In this way, I miss the simple drag and drop copy of file explorer. I find file explorer and simple print functions superior on the pc than comparable mac versions but that is IMHO!

tanjoven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin! I don't know why I was being frugal about space. I just installed a new 1TB drive in my macbook and had only used 400gb of it and I have a 2tb time capsule. But it was my old 250gb hard drive thinking habits that made me rashly delete them! These new HD videos take up so much space! 0.5gb for 3 minutes of video! Pretty soon I'll need a 2tb hard drive and my new ipad will quickly become obsolete! In that way, Apple has us wrapped around their little fingers in wait of some other storage for the ipad or to pay big bucks for more capacity. I've already filled up 64gb easily on my ipad! Any ideas/suggestions on how to convert videos files to optimize viewing on the ipad 3 but making the files smaller? I'm not very technical so I just use the default settings in handbrake. Any help is much appreciated!

tanjoven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never mind. I think using the ipad pre-set in handbrake makes the file much smaller.

smithshane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ilikemall.com
Use your handbrake tool to convert these mts files to mp4 format. for my experience, mp4 file with h.264 codec will get a nice output quality.

Most reactions

Latest posts