What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics of iPad killer

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The next iPad killer. And the results are sounding more and more like a Gunsmoke episode. The killer comes to town, takes aim at Matt Dillon, and leaves boots up.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the point is, the best seller seems to be the best seller for a reason. If the "killer" device really were a killer it would sell the most.
That is sometimes true, but often not. A lot of products outsell their competition purely on superior marketing, name recognition, etc. They still have to make a great product, but best sales does not always equal best option. A great example of that is Starbucks. They had decent to mediocre coffee but have crushed almost all competition because they have stores everywhere and have built a powerful brand.

Apple certain deserves its marketshare. They have builts very high quality products (though not always the "best" IMO). They have a good reputation for a good reason. You could release a tablet better than the ipad in everyway and it would probably still not outsell the ipad for a long time because it wouldn't have the reputation yet.

I dont necessarily think there's anything wrong with this, its just the way things are.

There is one other fact to be considered in terms of this topic. It's not just the hardware. The software available is every bit as important if not moreso in creating something to compete with the iPad. So far, no one has gotten the apps together to even begin to compete with them. Will Android? Hope so because competition will only make both better. But Google needs to finish getting their act together on the operating system and attract some quality developers.

yes, software is a big part of it, but it wasnt long ago when Windows Mobile had way more apps than the iPhone.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
That is sometimes true, but often not. A lot of products outsell their competition purely on superior marketing, name recognition, etc. They still have to make a great product, but best sales does not always equal best option. A great example of that is Starbucks. They had decent to mediocre coffee but have crushed almost all competition because they have stores everywhere and have built a powerful brand.

Apple certain deserves its marketshare. They have builts very high quality products (though not always the "best" IMO). They have a good reputation for a good reason. You could release a tablet better than the ipad in everyway and it would probably still not outsell the ipad for a long time because it wouldn't have the reputation yet.

I dont necessarily think there's anything wrong with this, its just the way things are.

There is one other fact to be considered in terms of this topic. It's not just the hardware. The software available is every bit as important if not moreso in creating something to compete with the iPad. So far, no one has gotten the apps together to even begin to compete with them. Will Android? Hope so because competition will only make both better. But Google needs to finish getting their act together on the operating system and attract some quality developers.

yes, software is a big part of it, but it wasnt long ago when Windows Mobile had way more apps than the iPhone.

That's true, but you see how fast Apple caught up and eclipsed them, too. I'm not seeing a surge coming down the line for MS anytime soon. Maybe the new Mobile OS will bring that, but I'd be shocked.

OP
I

ipadfaner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The world needs competiton to make better products and better service.
Android system elelctronic products will be a challenger to Apple empire.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

I do agree with this. Android stands the strongest chance now. They need to grab their chance quickly. The tech market is unforgiving. With the 2.2 release, app size will be able to go up and really open up the programming possibilities. Also, once standardized, they'll have a better chance of getting more developers involved.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I agree with this, and it's a solid business principle; what I don't get is why so many people seem to be rooting so hard for the fall of the "empire." I could create a fake website touting a new slate tomorrow and by Friday someone would proudly crown it the new iPad-killer on this forum, based on nothing substantial. Do you guys also yell "Bingo!" when you get the first letter?

Apple didn't design the iPad on April 29 and release it April 30. It takes time to develop a product and no one got started on that until a couple of months ago. No one is going to have a viable, realistic rival product for at least a year, though we'll see some half-assed halo products by Christmas (tablets that look similar superficially but are crude and less functional, likely able to play music and videos, fetch e-mail). The stuff we're seeing now was in development before there was an iPad to rival, and they're simply coat-tail riding the products to the unsophisticated.

So, how about we reserve judgement on these superior products until they actually exist? Hey, let's go really crazy and wait until they're released, and people have handled them and reviewed them! You don't bring down a tank with fairy dust and pixie glitter.

mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad killer? Nope. I think we're seeing some classic nipple theory playing out here.

Apple has grabbed hold of the tablet market's premium nipple, and I can't see them losing their grip unless they screw something up big time (unlikely at this stage). However, the value nipple is still wide open. That's where the next fight will be. It'll be interesting to see who gets it.

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's hard to take a product seriously when it clearly is just a copycat of what already exists. I mean, what kind of name is wiipad?? You just slapped together two big names.. You seriously couldn't do any better?

gregg37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...unless they screw something up big time...

You mean like the fact that the iPad has been all but abandoned already? There has been no interesting iPad news since launch. No killer must have apps since PvZ (sad that a game is the best thing on the platform). Missing several essential apps. Apple didn't even feel it worthy of the sixty-something updates (thirty something critical) that recently were released for every other device on the OS.

Experiencing some serious buyers remorse. Please SOMEONE bring me an Android tablet. It's sad that I pick up my EVO more often than the iPad when at home.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score

You mean like the fact that the iPad has been all but abandoned already? There has been no interesting iPad news since launch. No killer must have apps since PvZ (sad that a game is the best thing on the platform). Missing several essential apps. Apple didn't even feel it worthy of the sixty-something updates (thirty something critical) that recently were released for every other device on the OS.

Experiencing some serious buyers remorse. Please SOMEONE bring me an Android tablet. It's sad that I pick up my EVO more often than the iPad when at home.

lol, relax, its only been out a couple of months. Half of the OS4 update for the phone shipped on our iPad's from the factory.

OP
I

ipadfaner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple is a nobility,,others are Knights, who will win?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Abandoned??? What? There are new apps daily...a new os release soon to come. I haven't seen anything new on android worth mention since last December! You said you just got an android...trust me the effect will wear off in a month or two and you will be highly disappointed in it.

I've barely looked at my droid since my iPad came in and since the update unroofed me and I can no longer use it to tether it's basically useless.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to agree with Gentle. The apps for Android are generally crappy, mostly because you can't (without rooting and going through a certain process) install apps to the SD card. While the iPhone/iPad has a huge storage amount, even when an Android phone has 8GB not all of that is usually reserved for apps, especially on the older ones.

That being said, I'm still pre-ordering a Droid X.

Most reactions

Latest posts