What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics are sideways

AppleNut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the life of me I can't figure out why my pics are sideways when I email them out or load them to another site. Am I doing something wrong? This is rather annoying!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the life of me I can't figure out why my pics are sideways when I email them out or load them to another site. Am I doing something wrong? This is rather annoying!

I'm assuming from your post that they display with the correct orientation on the iPad before you send them? When you look at your sent emails in Mail are the attachments rotated then or do they only appear rotated when they're received on another computer? What happens if you send a photo to yourself?

Tim

OP
A

AppleNut

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I'm assuming from your post that they display with the correct orientation on the iPad before you send them? When you look at your sent emails in Mail are the attachments rotated then or do they only appear rotated when they're received on another computer? What happens if you send a photo to yourself?

Tim

Yes when I take the pic it's normal. But when I send the pic to my email or to someone else the picture is sideways. They appear fine on iPad and iPhone. It's other sources that's the problem.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess a workaround would be to rotate the picture before attaching it to the email - there are several free apps in the App Store that can rotate pictures - look at the Adobe apps, they're good and they're free!!

Tim

OP
A

AppleNut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess a workaround would be to rotate the picture before attaching it to the email - there are several free apps in the App Store that can rotate pictures - look at the Adobe apps, they're good and they're free!!

Tim

This must be an iPhone issue. I own the adobe apps already. The problem is the picture appears fine and doesn't need rotating in the adobe app. The problem is viewing the picture outside of an apple product. If I take pictures with iPhone and load them to Photobucket. I would then have to go in Photobucket and rotate all the pictures. This is rather time consuming and annoying.

Freshbru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw from your post that you are using tapatalk to send messages. I don't know this one specifically. I do know that I have used third party mms apps in the past that changed my picture send and receive settings. Have you considered this may be causing the problem?

Reaction score
What were the photos taken on?
There have been phones, not iPhone that I'm remembering, in the past that when a photo is taken with the phone being held in portrait mode while taking the picture they look fine on the phone but send sideways. It was a software bug in the cameras. Until it was fixed the only work around was taking pictures in landscape only.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have this same issue with my iPhone 4. I shot a short video the other day and when viewing it on my Windows 7 PC (using the iPhone as a "drive") the video was sideways.

WHHG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Poor Photo Handling

I use an iPad 2. If you take a screen shot in the landscape mode, it will appear at 90 degrees rotation to either orientation when viewed in the Photos app. I have rotated such pictures using the PSExpress app. That is just lousy programming somewhere.

In a similar vein, none of the pictures on my iPad retained their file names. When multiple pics are mailed out they ALL go as image.jpeg (yes, 4 letter suffix). That makes the whole device pretty much useless as a graphics interchange platform. That can't just be naive programming. I consider it a deliberate dumbing down.

rydama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was also frustrated by this issue. So I developed an app that lets you email a photo so it will have the correct orientation when the person receives it on their email. Search for Rotate Mailer in the app store.

The problem started with iOS 4. Apple stopped saving images with the correct rotation (instead they just save the metadata with rotation instructions). Unfortunately, none of the web mail sites honor these instructions.

Most reactions