What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid iPad pic editing

OP
P

Poita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Maryilyn.

Actually your sollution never occurred to me. It's elegant in its simplicity. I don't mind deleting the original as that's quite easy.

I have bought (although the maker kindly sent me a promo code) Photogene and I have to say its an amazing app for the price. I wrote to the developer with some questions and I'll copy his reply here. I'm sure he won't mind. I do recommend the app though as its well laid out and has some great features.

Here is his reply.

To answer your questions:
1. Regarding albums: in iOS 5, photos can only reside inside albums created by the OS (either predefines ones like "camera roll" or "all imported", or albums synced from your computer). *As you noticed, the albums you create yourself can hold links to those photos, but not the files themselves. So if you delete the original photo, it will also be removed from all the albums that linked to it.
This applies to Photogene as well. Photogene works directly on your iPad's photos library - we don't create our own library or albums storage. This means you'll have the same problems if you use our app. There are some other apps that have their own storage and can manage albums better than iOS. But you have to import all of your photos into those apps and the files you store there are not accessible to any other app, so I think they are not very useful.

2. Regarding edited version not imported to computer: yes, indeed. I don't know why they did it like that. Maybe they'll fix it in a future iPhoto / iOS update. Photogene stores all the edits you make in an internal database. Once you are happy with the results you can export (save) the edited photos to your camera roll. They are saved as new photos which can later be imported to your computer. But since 3rd party apps cannot overwrite/delete existing photos you'll end up with two copies of every photo: the original, and the edited version saved by Photogene.

3. Regarding saving edited photo directly to an album: technically can be done, but we still don't support it. At the moment you have to save edited photos to your camera roll and only later transfer them to the desired albums. But we are working on this feature.

Hope this answers you questions.

Cheers,

* *Omer

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, but I LIKE PhotoGene! Especially the ability to resize the photo (along with crop).

Between this app and Photo-Sort to make true albums (no links!), I am a happy person.

Marilyn

Last edited:
OP
P

Poita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought Photogene and the more I use it the more I like it.

I also bought picsort and I'm just getting into it. It's a bit complicated. Am I right though in assuming that apps such as Photogene, Sketchbook Pro and Keynote can't load or save pics from or to it? Then what use is it?

Brode2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like the developer of PhotoGene said, edited photos are saved to "Saved Photos" on iPad 1, and to "camera Roll" on iPad 2. That saved edit does not overwrite the original, it creates a new image. That's a good thing.....you are preserving the original file like a film negative, always in its original state. It costs you $199 for Adobe Lightroom to do that on the computer.

I, too, found PhotoGene and was amazed, however, I've since graduated to Filterstorm. I find it's advanced masking ability to be very easy and extremely usefull. I ca pretty much now do everything on Filterstorm that I could do on Lightroom, including metadata editing.

Mike

OP
P

Poita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it's ok to have the original saved. The problem is when the updated one 'isn't' saved and it's just a temporary cosmetic change.

I'll check filter storm out but I'm not so interested in filters. I basically need to crop, auto enhance, edit out some details like 'Touchretouch' does (although it seems Photogene has a similar function.
Actually, having too many filter options is confusing for me as Im slightly colourblind anyway and too many options implicate it. I'm the same with equalisers ion music systems.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FYI: There's an iPhone app freebie this weekend called PerfectPhoto.

I've not used it, but it's got high ratings. I don't know how it works with photos on iPad.

Brode2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Poita,

Sounds to me like you only need basic editing, and Filterstorm has capabilities far beyond that. Despite its name, filters are not what it's about. Advanced editing with curves, histograms, and masks is. It would be for someone familiar with using PhotoShop or Lightroom on a PC or MAC.

Mike

OP
P

Poita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just discovered yet another negative thing about the iOS native photo edit features.

When I enhance a pic in the native iOS editor then open the pic in a third party app such as sketchbook Pro, Photogene or Touchretouch . . . . the 'enhance' is not there. Strangely, if you crop it then the cropped version can be opened in the third party apps but not the enhanced version.

So now I can't use 'enhance' in iOS (even though it's the best auto enhance on the iPad) because when I transfer the pic to my computer or even open it in another iPad app it won't not hold.
I could enhance then take a screenshot. That will only work for pics that are the same dimensions as the screen as if they are not I will lose my crop.

What with these problems and the iOS crazy album management restrictions, dealing with pics on the iPD is 10 times more difficult than on a pc; even a windows pc. Isn't the iPad supposed to make it simpler and easier and quicker?

Most reactions