What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

picked up xoom to compare with my ipad 2.....Fail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
they compared thickness with the ipad2 having backcover on. not a real comparison. plus ipad2 display looks alot brighter and colors pop more thn the samsung one. could really tell when they compared the angrybirds side by side.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
they compared thickness with the ipad2 having backcover on. not a real comparison. plus ipad2 display looks alot brighter and colors pop more thn the samsung one. could really tell when they compared the angrybirds side by side.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and new Galaxy Tab 10.1 hands-on: thinner than the iPad 2, dual-core power, TouchWiz 4.0 -- Engadget

Also, the Galaxy 10.1 uses a PLS screen, which is a nicer display panel than the IPS the iPad and iPad2 uses. Here is an article discussing why PLS is better back when it was rumored the iPad2 was going to use them:

iPad 2 might use Samsung’s Super PLS display technology | 9 to 5 Mac iPad 2 might use Samsung’s Super PLS display technology | Apple Intelligence

And here is a general overview of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and 8.9 by anandtech:

Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 & 8.9, Smaller than iPad 2, Competitively Priced - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A nice looking tablet for sure. Samsung makes high quality products. Even though I notice no difference between the iPad 1 and iPad 2, I am kind of concerned about the relative slowness of the Tegra 2 vs A5. I'd assume its mostly software optimization though. Even so, Honeycomb needs updating to be competitive in my opinion. If it is, I may be in the market for a new tablet...

Edit: Apparently it may have the Exynos processor, which is better than the Tegra 2. Odroid has the same processor/GPU and outperforms iPad 2 by 6%.

Last edited:

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
in the past month I've had two friends who've actually bought BOTH the iPad 2 and the Xoom and tried them out at the same time (plus two other friends who've bought and tried one, then the other), returned the Xoom and kept the iPad. Ten days ago, a friend asked me to help her pick out a nice, eay-to-use tablet with good features. So I took her to Fry's and Best Buy, where they have active units of both devices and many others, put them in her hands, told her to play with them and see if she could figure them out and enjoy them. I didn't say anything except go over the primary features, selling points and functions of each. Price was not discussed-her budget was $1200 for any single device and she didn't care about the cost of 3G services, etc. I made sure the iPad 2 was the LAST unit she looked at. Then I just stood back and watched her, only answering her questions when she asked. Guess which one she lit up like a kid with and bought? I've never seen her so enthralled with anything remotely resembling a computer. That's all that matters. Specs and features are NOTHING when it comes to ease of use, accessibility, simplicity and FUN. I spoke with her this morning and she's still very happy with her iPad 2. In fact, she did the very same thing we did with her sister, who also picked out the iPad in a line-up.

'nuff said.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

shhardyme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
in the past month I've had two friends who've actually bought BOTH the iPad 2 and the Xoom and tried them out at the same time (plus two other friends who've bought and tried one, then the other), returned the Xoom and kept the iPad. Ten days ago, a friend asked me to help her pick out a nice, eay-to-use tablet with good features. So I took her to Fry's and Best Buy, where they have active units of both devices and many others, put them in her hands, told her to play with them and see if she could figure them out and enjoy them. I didn't say anything except go over the primary features, selling points and functions of each. Price was not discussed-her budget was $1200 for any single device and she didn't care about the cost of 3G services, etc. I made sure the iPad 2 was the LAST unit she looked at. Then I just stood back and watched her, only answering her questions when she asked. Guess which one she lit up like a kid with and bought? I've never seen her so enthralled with anything remotely resembling a computer. That's all that matters. Specs and features are NOTHING when it comes to ease of use, accessibility, simplicity and FUN. I spoke with her this morning and she's still very happy with her iPad 2. In fact, she did the very same thing we did with her sister, who also picked out the iPad in a line-up.

'nuff said.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

A dedicated Android user would say your comments describe exactly what a "fanboy" is. Someone who wants things simple, things that work without question, and leaves little or no room for individualization. Just one sheep in a herd of millions.

Godfather4190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
shhardyme said:
A dedicated Android user would say your comments describe exactly what a "fanboy" is. Someone who wants things simple, things that work without question, and leaves little or no room for individualization. Just one sheep in a herd of millions.

A dedicated apple customer would use this on you.....

Attachments

• image-1401826429.png
    image-1401826429.png
    183.3 KB · Views: 228

shhardyme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
shhardyme said:

Apparently you see something bad in reliable, dependable, etc. Put your can away and smell the roses.

luckyleo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
shhardyme said:

And what is bad about this? Let's see, it works just like that. Ok that isn't good. When I go home at night and turn the switch on for lights I don't want it to just work. I want to tinker with my circuit breakers for an hour or two and then settle in for some good TV. oh, but the TV can't just work. I want to jail break it so I can watch the news LIVE from Los Angeles. Well, now it's time to go to bed. I don't want my alarm clock to just work. Why would I want to be a sheep and get up like everyone else. Sure, I may lose my job, but hey, I'm cool, I'm in control, and NOBODY, including GE ( they make my alarm clock) is going to tell ME how to keep time.

Yep Android tablet for me!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Godfather4190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
shhardyme said:
Apparently you see something bad in reliable, dependable, etc. Put your can away and smell the roses.

Are you saying android is reliable? So honeycomb 3.0 was a staggering success? Please tell me when I'm getting warm.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
shhardyme said:

My response to such a blaise retort from an Android user would be: "Yeah. Exactly that. SO WHAT?" The vast majority of consumers want something simple and that works right out of the box without question. They have little interest in and even less patience for tweaking and so-called "personalization" (at the level geeks are referring to) of their equipment. Apple doesn't make iPhones, computers and iPads just for geeks. They make devices for the rest of us ordinary folks who just want something that WORKS and works well without having to spend time tinkering with it, trying to figure out how it works, trouble-shooting it and fine-tuning it for performance improvements. Last I checked, the average consumers by far outnumber the geeks. Apple GETS it.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
shhardyme said:

That can is too funny.

Alright, guys ~ let's just simmer down or this thread will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions