What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

picked up xoom to compare with my ipad 2.....Fail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
deftdrummer said:
I don't go anywhere online and expect to be treated well. It's the Internet! Not a Holiday Inn. Thicker skin people...thicker skin.

That's what I'm trying to say, I certainly think this forum is a lot more civilized than most others.
We are VERY friendly here. So Ask your questions and then....

gran_torino_clint_eastwood.jpg

"Get off my lawn!"

shhardyme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The screen is dark and it is heavy to hold. For $600 ( WIFI model) the choice is clearly the Ipad.

I have both the 3/4G ver. of the Xoom and an iPad 2 WiFi 16GB Ver. I find I use both of them equally and find some things I don't like on both.

First, the Apple ios tied to the iTunes for synching, etc. is archaic. It is for "Normal People" who need to have their hand held and walked through processes that are pretty simple. How simple it is to drag and drop to the Xoom, to manage folders and files from your laptop, to transfer photos, etc.

On the other hand the IP2 works extremely well in function and the choice of apps is outstanding. Apps like the TWC for viewing TV works extremely well. Other than a few iPhone apps, the IP2 does a great job.

The problem as I see it for the iPad in the future is that once apps like the TWC one shows up for Honeycomb and others are available then one of the great selling points for Apple will be lost. Honeycomb will improve significantly as more and more Honeycomb tablets come on the market.

Comments like the Xoom screen is dark is easily addressed by unchecking the automatic brightness choice. I have the brightness turned up high and the screen is as vibrant as the IP2.

The Honeycomb OS clearly is a superior way to customize and manage all facets of a tablet. When as many iterations of the Honeycomb are compiled as have been for IOS, it will be as smooth and reliable as any iPad. That said, I think Apple will have to let go of some of the mind numbing routines associated with iTunes. They could improve the OS considerably w/o much effort.

I do wish the Xoom was as effective as the IP2 in controlling fingerprints and smudges.

They both are good and bad and I'm glad I have both.

Last edited:

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I played with the Xoom and have to agree it leaves a lot to be desired, especially in app selection. Honeycomb is nice, but its not as polished as iOS. When the first wave of Android tablets come out, we will see. Google has a long way to go. You can't really compare Android to iOS based on one Android device, because that's not really how it works.

Many of the complaints about Android here are folklore IMO.

Tom811

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also seriously considered the xoom before I bought my ipad2. Had a chance to play with both of them at my local Best Buy store and there was a big difference between the two. The zoom didn't seem to as polished as the iPad and the lack of apps hurts. I know you can use most phone apps on it, similar to what the iPad can do , but streaching them looks horrible.

Karyyk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still do not see how anyone thinks these tablets are going to sell for $600 or more. I'm just about as loyalty-neutral a techie as you can get, but from a common sense perspective, weak hardware accompanied by bulky design, an unfinished OS and a bloated price tag aren't going to garner a lot of sales. I'd like to know where the proposed market for these things are, really. As it is, why would anyone pay for a bulky device that tries to ape the iPad with every turn (and does so poorly)?

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still do not see how anyone thinks these tablets are going to sell for $600 or more. I'm just about as loyalty-neutral a techie as you can get, but from a common sense perspective, weak hardware accompanied by bulky design, an unfinished OS and a bloated price tag aren't going to garner a lot of sales. I'd like to know where the proposed market for these things are, really. As it is, why would anyone pay for a bulky device that tries to ape the iPad with every turn (and does so poorly)?
the asus eee pad transformer will be a lot closer with competing with the ipad than the xoom. firstly it's $100 cheaper (at least the "leaked" bb page showed it as $399) at 16GB. the dock is supposed to cost $150 and double's battery life, adds 2 full sized usb ports, and a full size sd card. i don't know if the usb ports will accept external hd's but i'm sure there'll be a hack for that. it'll run the unfinished honeycomb, so any issues will still be there.

it's also got an ips screen so it could be just a nice as the ipad.

i didn't get an ipad2, but i did return the xoom.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the asus eee pad transformer will be a lot closer with competing with the ipad than the xoom. firstly it's $100 cheaper (at least the "leaked" bb page showed it as $399) at 16GB. the dock is supposed to cost $150 and double's battery life, adds 2 full sized usb ports, and a full size sd card. i don't know if the usb ports will accept external hd's but i'm sure there'll be a hack for that. it'll run the unfinished honeycomb, so any issues will still be there.

it's also got an ips screen so it could be just a nice as the ipad.

i didn't get an ipad2, but i did return the xoom.

The eee pad does have USB host enabled, so you can attach external storage to it.

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i was just playing with the xoom and is almost as good the ipad not bad for there first try there was some things i like about it i am sure there will be some tablet in a short time that wil be as good or better then the i pad but they will have to cost less to out sell apple

Godfather4190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Harley man said:
i was just playing with the xoom and is almost as good the ipad not bad for there first try there was some things i like about it i am sure there will be some tablet in a short time that wil be as good or better then the i pad but they will have to cost less to out sell apple

This may be the longest run on sentence in history.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the Xoom on launch day. I have to say it, I LOVE ANDROID but I HATE the Xoom. I waited and waited for a full featured 10" Android tablet to come out. One that could do all that I wanted it to do. I own NOTHING Apple since my 1st gen iPod. I hated the way that Apple controlled the music that I bought and wouldn't allow me to play it on anything other than their devices. That mentality is what drove me towards Android.

A year ago, I purchased my Droid Incredible and I have loved every minute that I've had it. I rooted it and regularly flash new ROMS. I'm no newb to the process. I regularly spend over an hour per day on Android Forums, so when I say I hate the Xoom, understand that it is not out of a hate for Android for Google.

I knew out of the box the device was not complete. I knew that Flash would come shortly and sometime late spring the 4G and SD card would be coming. I could deal with that. $800 + case ($40) + bt keyboard ($80) + over $100 on new versions of apps and new books means I'm over $1,000 in to this device. It was my intent to buy 4 more over the course of the year for my kids and wife. After a month of pretending that I love the Xoom, I HATE it.

The weight, fingerprints, or any other MINOR complaint for the Xoom is nothing to me. None are truly warranted and should or should not be a cause for buying a device of this caliper IMHO.

Through this proccess iLearned that just because iHate a company doesn't mean that they are not the best at what they do. iLearned that Moto and GoogleComb wanted my money at my expense (pardon the pun). Here is a list of things that iHate about my Xoom.

iHate that to this DAY we still don't have a working way to watch Hulu or Netflix WITHOUT spending MORE money to "sling" it in or let it "playon" from a REAL computer.

iHate that Google Books only works about 1/2 the time. It depends on the books you buy. I bought the Bible TWICE. Both times it worked in the preview, you pay the money and it's chapters are "too long to load". Books SHOULD work.

iHate the way that I have to "re-purchase" my apps in HD to make them work. Don't give me the "spare parts fix" b/c it's not the same thing. The WHOLE point of picking a side is so we don't have to re-purchase EVERYTHING we use.

iHate the way my browser FORCE CLOSES all the time. For no reason, it will RANDOMLY and REPEATEDLY shut down. I've tried Firefox Mobile, I can't stand the way it checkerboards when I scroll quickly.

iHate the way the music app will "randomly" just begin playing for no reason at all.

Google Voice doesn't work on the Xoom? A Google "experience" device? Really?

52 Tablet specific apps!?!? Seriously, that sucks.

Things that are nice are Flash, widgets, customization of live wallpapers, battery life, build is solid, ability to remove an app from the launcher, total integration of Gmail and Youtube (which is what surprised me that Google Voice and Picasa are non existent).

Things that feel "incomplete" are transitions (very laggy), the boot up takes FOREVER and animation is very pixilated, Books app, Market only works in landscape. There are more and more.

So I have come to the conclusion that I'm no longer keeping my Xoom. I have listed it on Ebay here --> 3G/4G Motorola Xoom+Case+BT Keyboard+*NEW* 2GB SD Card | eBay

If I can get the $700 for it, I plan on buying a wifi-iPad2 with smart cover and wireless keyboard. I will lose about $300 for my eagerness, but learn a lesson in the process. I still could never see myself owning an iPhone, but I regret not buying an iPad2.
thank you for sharing your experience and insights. This is one of the best reviews posted. Factual is great.

I added the Apple wireless keyboard to my iPad2... it works very well...I like the flexibility to set the ipad up with its stand (Targus VuScape). Placing it to the right, I can use the touch screen almost like a mouse... and the keyboard can be operated in a lounge position. However, at a desk it is perfect... the flexibility is what I needed and wanted.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I can't say that this tablet is going to be better than the iPad2 because making such a claim before its released and reviewed is ridiculous, but this tablet in my opinion has the most potential of being absolutely fantastic and "better" than the iPad2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdu5PVjCGo0]Galaxy Tab 10.1[/ame]

Its in Vietnamese, so most likely you won't understand what he is saying, but damn that looks like a nice piece of hardware. Thinner than the iPad2, lighter than the iPad2, same price, expandable storage, slightly better cameras w/LED flash, etc.

Last edited:

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I can't say that this tablet is going to be better than the iPad2 because making such a claim before its released and reviewed is ridiculous, but this tablet in my opinion has the most potential of being absolutely fantastic and "better" than the iPad2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdu5PVjCGo0]Galaxy Tab 10.1[/ame]

Its in Vietnamese, so most likely you won't understand what he is saying, but damn that looks like a nice piece of hardware. Thinner than the iPad2, lighter than the iPad2, same price, expandable storage, slightly better cameras w/LED flash, etc.

it looks nice but isnt thinner than ipad2. actually looks like same thickness as the ipad1.

pkmusic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I love my Evo and Android 2.3 MIUI rom. But I hated the Xoom. I felt like I was in a very bad marriage. I waited for my 14 days to switch to an iPad 2 and I felt free. I know the iPad 2 has its issues but I am so glad I left the Xoom.

I bought the Xoom on launch day. I have to say it, I LOVE ANDROID but I HATE the Xoom. I waited and waited for a full featured 10" Android tablet to come out. One that could do all that I wanted it to do. I own NOTHING Apple since my 1st gen iPod. I hated the way that Apple controlled the music that I bought and wouldn't allow me to play it on anything other than their devices. That mentality is what drove me towards Android.

A year ago, I purchased my Droid Incredible and I have loved every minute that I've had it. I rooted it and regularly flash new ROMS. I'm no newb to the process. I regularly spend over an hour per day on Android Forums, so when I say I hate the Xoom, understand that it is not out of a hate for Android for Google.

I knew out of the box the device was not complete. I knew that Flash would come shortly and sometime late spring the 4G and SD card would be coming. I could deal with that. $800 + case ($40) + bt keyboard ($80) + over $100 on new versions of apps and new books means I'm over $1,000 in to this device. It was my intent to buy 4 more over the course of the year for my kids and wife. After a month of pretending that I love the Xoom, I HATE it.

The weight, fingerprints, or any other MINOR complaint for the Xoom is nothing to me. None are truly warranted and should or should not be a cause for buying a device of this caliper IMHO.

Through this proccess iLearned that just because iHate a company doesn't mean that they are not the best at what they do. iLearned that Moto and GoogleComb wanted my money at my expense (pardon the pun). Here is a list of things that iHate about my Xoom.

iHate that to this DAY we still don't have a working way to watch Hulu or Netflix WITHOUT spending MORE money to "sling" it in or let it "playon" from a REAL computer.

iHate that Google Books only works about 1/2 the time. It depends on the books you buy. I bought the Bible TWICE. Both times it worked in the preview, you pay the money and it's chapters are "too long to load". Books SHOULD work.

iHate the way that I have to "re-purchase" my apps in HD to make them work. Don't give me the "spare parts fix" b/c it's not the same thing. The WHOLE point of picking a side is so we don't have to re-purchase EVERYTHING we use.

iHate the way my browser FORCE CLOSES all the time. For no reason, it will RANDOMLY and REPEATEDLY shut down. I've tried Firefox Mobile, I can't stand the way it checkerboards when I scroll quickly.

iHate the way the music app will "randomly" just begin playing for no reason at all.

Google Voice doesn't work on the Xoom? A Google "experience" device? Really?

52 Tablet specific apps!?!? Seriously, that sucks.

Things that are nice are Flash, widgets, customization of live wallpapers, battery life, build is solid, ability to remove an app from the launcher, total integration of Gmail and Youtube (which is what surprised me that Google Voice and Picasa are non existent).

Things that feel "incomplete" are transitions (very laggy), the boot up takes FOREVER and animation is very pixilated, Books app, Market only works in landscape. There are more and more.

So I have come to the conclusion that I'm no longer keeping my Xoom. I have listed it on Ebay here --> 3G/4G Motorola Xoom+Case+BT Keyboard+*NEW* 2GB SD Card | eBay

If I can get the $700 for it, I plan on buying a wifi-iPad2 with smart cover and wireless keyboard. I will lose about $300 for my eagerness, but learn a lesson in the process. I still could never see myself owning an iPhone, but I regret not buying an iPad2.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts