What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picked up Blackberry Playbook to compare with my ipad 2.....Fail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not liking it as much as ipad 2, so im going to return it this weekend.

- screen is too small and really crammed to type on
- no BBM and no dedicated email client
- dont like the OS as much as iOS4
- no home button...feels really wierd! You have to swipe up on the screen just above where it says blackberry.
- the volume keys arent flush, theyre angled so they stick out awkwardly
- lots are having tethering and power button issues
- theres a slight delay to the picture rotating when rotating the playbook

Thats just off the top of my head. I do like how its true 16:9 screen and not ipads 4:3.

metheridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:
Just curious why buy something before test driving it at the store takes time money and frustration for resellers.

I think he does this just to dis anything not apple....

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF!

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How does the screen look compared to ipad2 ..brightness,colors,viewing angles,blacks?

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read another thread, cept it said xoom instead of blackberry playbook

I noticed the same thing. IMHO it is easier to spend some time using a new product ... at the stores, it is really difficult to check everything out. When the OP can sit down and go thru it careful a much better evaluation is possible.

I like the comparisons at they help us to know better what is really going on from the point of view of the user.

So much is just spec and feature comparisions and anyone can do that ... doesn't really tell us much.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
I read another thread, cept it said xoom instead of blackberry playbook

I noticed the same thing. IMHO it is easier to spend some time using a new product ... at the stores, it is really difficult to check everything out. When the OP can sit down and go thru it careful a much better evaluation is possible.

I like the comparisons at they help us to know better what is really going on from the point of view of the user.

So much is just spec and feature comparisions and anyone can do that ... doesn't really tell us much.

And, if you have the expendable cash, why not. If I had a lot of extra money I might purchase a few other tablets just to compare them. Hell, I probably wouldn't even take them back but give them to family members as gifts if I didn't like them.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And, if you have the expendable cash, why not. If I had a lot of extra money I might purchase a few other tablets just to compare them. Hell, I probably wouldn't even take them back but give them to family members as gifts if I didn't like them.

Well, because retailers have to factor in restocking and refunds into their overhead so they can still make a profit. Just makes things that much more expensive for people who do buy stuff...

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not an Android tablet. QNX.

Not a Linux variation, a Real Time OS used in mission critical systems, fast and small.

Mountaingamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really?

Well, because retailers have to factor in restocking and refunds into their overhead so they can still make a profit. Just makes things that much more expensive for people who do buy stuff...

So your saying people should be stuck with crummy "iPad killers"?

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
USBill said:

Hogwash! They make a profit on the margin they sell each item for. And returned stock is either a) resold or b) returned to the manufacturer for credit. Returning something you don't like or can't use does not increase the price. Shoplifting does. Insurance claims for accidents at the store does. Employee theft does. But not returns.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to disagree I am employed in a similar chain to Best Buy in Australia and the margin on iPads is less than 7% the margin on iPods is the same ( same world wide) so there is no room to cover returns we issue store credit only no cash back period unless the unit is faulty which then is covered under DOA ( 14 days with Apple). It seems in America retailers bend the rules but at the end of the day it does cost the retailer to return goods that have been opened and used. Would you buy a used iPad for a small discount off retail ? I don't think so. You would want at least 20% discount. That is why restocking fees can be up to 20%

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
col.bris said:
I have to disagree I am employed in a similar chain to Best Buy in Australia and the margin on iPads is less than 7% the margin on iPods is the same ( same world wide) so there is no room to cover returns we issue store credit only no cash back period unless the unit is faulty which then is covered under DOA ( 14 days with Apple). It seems in America retailers bend the rules but at the end of the day it does cost the retailer to return goods that have been opened and used. Would you buy a used iPad for a small discount off retail ? I don't think so. You would want at least 20% discount. That is why restocking fees can be up to 20%

There you have it! What, as a retailer, have you lost if you issue a store credit for the return? That customer is going to spend that money in your store. And a store credit with a 20% restocking fee just made you 27%. And no retailer resells product at 20% off until it has sat on the shelf forever. The idea that retailers lose money on returns is a hoax. For every 7% margin item you have in stock there are ten that are set near 18% like HDTVs, cell phones, and laptops.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd be damned if I'd buy ANYTHING at a store if I were not able to return something for my money back within a reasonable amount of time.

There is no way to truly evaluate an item like this in the store (vs your home, for example) - the lighting is different, the background noise level is different, your physical position is different, etc... To top it off, there is usually some metal wire connecting the device to the display unit so that it doesn't get stolen, which makes it even harder to evaluate in the store!

Just my opinions, of course! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts