What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop on iPad 2

Cyana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok... i am a digital artist and i want to get a ipad 2, but i dont know if its good enough to draw, like on a cintiq and even if the version of the photoshop for ipad is like the normal... with brushes and etc...
If u are had tried let me know!

kisses
Cyana

Johnmarshall4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no real version of photoshop on the iPad yet. Ere are working on it but I don't know the feature set yet. There is something today called photoshop express but it is only slight photo correction not drawing.

There are some other good drawing programs available though but I'm not experienced with them. I know the lack of a precision stylus has been a negative for some.

OP
C

Cyana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tks 4 the light! ^^
So it looks that my dream is far to come true...
... some one knows an better option, like an cintq with memory, or some thing like that?

Kirwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Tool or Toy? The Apple iPad 2 for Photographers"

Hi Cyana,

I also enjoy digital photography. Here's an excellent article posted by DPreview that you might find interesting.

After reading... You will have a better idea what the iPad 2 is capable, and not capable of as a tool for digital photographers.

I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Apple iPad2 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know art studio is the closest thing for me to PS. You have the ability of layers and to save/send psd's as well not sure about others.

Last edited:

MadDragon1846

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Theres an app called procreate. I got it awhile back for free (was only free for 24 hours), but haven't actually used it yet :D it's £4.99 atm.

It apparently does all kinds of stuff, like layers, create custom brushes, smudge tool, etc.

Check it out on itunes for a full list of what it does. It seems as close to photoshop as you'll get on the ipad.
(it doesn't seem to have any filters, but theres tons of photo filter apps about for like 59p)

Last edited:

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The layer thing was great from a teaching standpoint. It can sometimes be hard to get the concept of how layers work across to students.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Photoshop is a tricky one to call as it will greatly depend on adobe getting touch control right. When I use it on the Mac I find it's almost impossible to work with the trackpad and end up using a mouse.
Over the years the core program has acquired hundreds of additions and they will have to focus on the basic feature set ensuring it's optimised for the iPad. Get it right and they could end up with a nice little earner, as the hardware is now capable.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The other day a friend of mine picked up a stylus for the ipad 2 and i had a chance to play with it for a few minutes. I forget what the art program was that he had but I was able to adjust the brush size thickness and when drawing on the ipad it was very responsive and accurate. I then tried it just using my finger and the results were not as good nor accurate so I think a stylus would be a must for any of these art/photo editing programs.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i use ps on a daily professional bases mainly for post image editing. so ps on a mobile device is something i personally wont be interested in when i can do so much more in ps on my desktop.

as for drawing and painting, as mentioned, apps like procreate, sketchbook pro, artrage, Auryn Ink etc etc are more suited for mobile art me thinks.

i dont think we're too far behind the day when the ipad can be used like a wacom. not yet tho.

MadDragon1846

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just an update. According to appshopper, procreate has gone down to £2.99 :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

misterkofa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok... i am a digital artist and i want to get a ipad 2, but i dont know if its good enough to draw, like on a cintiq and even if the version of the photoshop for ipad is like the normal... with brushes and etc...
If u are had tried let me know!

kisses
Cyana

most of the drawing of photoshop can be found in sketchbook pro and artstudio. I use both. The iPad is a very nice tool to incorporate into your workflow but not for replacing the major aspects of it. As for me, I cannot fully design on anything less than a dual screen or 22" monitor. that's why a laptop never worked for me.

But for brainstorming and getting your main idea down, nothing beats the iPad. Sitting at your desk in your office or studio isn't always the most inspiring place to create. the iPad lets you go out doors or work from the corner of your room or even your couch. Sometimes something on tv is what inspires you. You can quickly pull out your iPad and whip out a nice comp of your idea. Then transfer it to your desktop/laptop to finalize.

camxposure

iPF Noob
Reaction score
apparently now adobe photoshop touch has been introduced to the ipad market - not sure exactly what they were aiming the feature for- but cutting and pasting is not a crucial tool when editing a photo, let alone tonal adjustments- so the grand feature that TOUCH has brought to the table will not replace photoshop desktop even in it's simple use.
another thing I've noticed is that stylus' are praised for their usability for accurateness over using fingers - but since the screen is not pressure sensitive, it could never be used as effective as a true graphic tablet like a wacom cintiq - but if they could some how integrate pressure sensitivity and tracking from the screen to the pen and tablet combined- I'm sure it will be possible to use in the fashion Wacom users have come to enjoy.
it cracks me up that a wide variety of stylus claim to make things easier- like a brush?? I do understand it real relational use to a user, but it in no way reacts differently other than feel- same as with any stylus- it is just a replacement to the conductive fingertip- and it doesn't work at all for someone who rests their palm to write.... so when buying one- get the cheapest- they all function the same- unless you decide on an aPen set up

Most reactions