What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos don't show in iCloud Drive app

Zoe3107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been asked to send some photos as attachments to my sons school with a brief note in the email for each photo. When I try to add an attachment to the email it opens the icloud drive app which is empty, but all my photos are on iCloud photo storage so how do I get them to show up in iCloud Drive so that I can send them as attachments?

I have very limited knowledge on how to do things with the iPad so if you could tell me what to do in simple steps I would appreciate it.

Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

You would have to import your images to iCloud Drive. That's not necessary, though. You can send images from the built in Photos app on your iPad, or in Mail.

In Photos, select one of your images, and tap the Share button at the top right:
IMG_3025.JPG

Now, it's also possible to add more images.
At the bottom, you'll get options how to proceed. One of them is Mail:
IMG_3026.JPG

Tap it, to get to the next screen:
IMG_3027.JPG

Here, you can enter text, and then send the email with the image included.

Hope that helps.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have removed your other thread with the same question.
You'll receive more accurate help and better suggestions when all replies are concentrated in a single thread. It's better to keep questions and answers to this thread only.

OP
Z

Zoe3107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't realise both had been posted. I did one then couldn't find it so thought I had done it wrong.

Thanks for the help but is there a way to add the photo as an attachment instead? Just the school doesn't want it in the body of the email...apparently they are using some programme to monitor the emails so unless it's an attachment it won't be detected.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's not possible from the Photos or Mail app. In that case, you'll have to save the image/s to iCloud Drive. Select one image, as before, tap the Share button. Choose a few more photos, if necessary, then select this:
IMG_3029.JPG

Decide where you'd like to save it in iCloud Drive, then you'll find it there. When you have to send it as an attachment, it's possible via iCloud Drive now.

OP
Z

Zoe3107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. When I try to do that there isn't an option to add to iCloud Drive.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Too bad! That would be the easiest way to get it to iCloud Drive.

Make sure iCloud Drive is enabled in your settings, in iCloud. Then try it again.

OP
Z

Zoe3107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iCloud Drive is definitely enabled but it still doesn't show as an option - is there any other way?

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi can you do a screenshot and a post it so we can see what you can?

OP
Z

Zoe3107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So these screenshots show what I see when I try to add an attachment to the email and what I see when I try to share a picture (no send to iCloud Drive option).

I have to send the photos as an attachment, it won't work if I just add them to the email so is there any other way to do this? It seems a big thing to have been overlooked.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    200.4 KB · Views: 486
  • image.png
    image.png
    418.6 KB · Views: 522

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On your iPad, open Safari. Go to www.icloud.com. When you see this screen:
IMG_3030.PNG

tap and hold the round arrow in the address bar, until you see "Request Desktop Site". Tap that to get to a different view, then login with your iCloud ID and password. Not select iCloud Drive:
IMG_3036.JPG

You'll find this button at the top:
IMG_3037.JPG

Tap it. One of the next options should be "Photo Library":
IMG_3038.JPG

Tap it, then select a folder:
IMG_3039.JPG

Choose the image/s and tap Done:
IMG_3040.JPG

The photo/s will appear quite soon, depending on your connection.

You can log out again afterwards. The images will be in iCloud Drive now.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So these screenshots show what I see when I try to add an attachment to the email and what I see when I try to share a picture (no send to iCloud Drive option).

I have to send the photos as an attachment, it won't work if I just add them to the email so is there any other way to do this? It seems a big thing to have been overlooked.
Go to the screen shown in your second screenshot and tap on more in the row of black and white icons. Scroll down the list and make sure the iCloud Drive switch is turned on. If it's turned off, iCloud Drive will not show up as an available sharing option.
IMG_3386.JPG

Last edited:

Most reactions