What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iCloud is heaven!

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I've been playing around in the last few days with the new iOS 5 and mostly with iCloud features.. I was a bit skeptic about iCloud, but I must say it's heaven for my usage!

I have an iPhone 3GS and an iPad 1 wifi only...

Photos: take a picture with the iPhone, wait a few secs, and there it is on your iPad, ready to be used. No more needs for apps to transfer my photos from my iPhone to my iPad. No more emailing to myself...

Documents: create documents on the iPad at home (Pages/Numbers). Leave home. Open Pages/Numbers on my iPhone and the files are there, ready to be updated or simple read... No more emailing to myself, no more forgetting to send before leaving home... Update on the iPhone and iPad will be updated also...

Books: read a book on your iPad. Make a bookmark on page 156 to find that page for the next reading session. Leave home, travel, wait for your train... Open iBooks on your iPhone, and there you have it, the bookmark is there. No need to remember where I was when I was reading that book on my iPad...

There are a lot of cloud services like Box.net or DropBox but with iCloud, it's so well integrated that you just forget about it. It just works! I don't need apps to share data anymore and I don't have to worry about forgetting to update the other device... Yep! It's heaven for mobile computing stuff...

VicoPad addict!

Loobs72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could you tell me how to use iCloud please, I can't find simple instructions anywhere.

Thank you

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad you're enjoying it! Actually, I find it fine for synching documents between my Windows laptop and my iPad. The photo thing works well.

But... I had to get an @me.com address for mail. And now I cannot set up mail on my Laptop. I have been all evening searching for an answer but nothing! I have Windows Vista and Windows Mail, and although I have found all the server info for imap and smtp, I can't implement it. Help!

Loobs72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for this, that's really helpful.

Can I just ask something? I took a photo on my iPad which then automatically appeared on my iPhone. I added a new contact on my iPad but that has not appeared on the iPhone. What am I doing wrong?

Contacts is on in the iCloud settings.

Thanks

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dropbox was doing it all the time.

Apple is quite good at making people believe what they are doing is first in the industry even though they are not. Of course due credit to their marketing team with huge budget.

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Loobs72 said:
Thanks for this, that's really helpful.

Can I just ask something? I took a photo on my iPad which then automatically appeared on my iPhone. I added a new contact on my iPad but that has not appeared on the iPhone. What am I doing wrong?

Contacts is on in the iCloud settings.

Thanks

I think it will sync contacts if they are local ant not on an imap service...

VicoPad addict!

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
mobi1 said:
Dropbox was doing it all the time.

Apple is quite good at making people believe what they are doing is first in the industry even though they are not. Of course due credit to their marketing team with huge budget.

Dropbox is good, but not that integrated. Apple has not invented the cloud, but has made a better use of it. With Dropbox, I have to put the files in the right folder to be synced, not with iCloud, it's the beauty of it. As I heard somewhere: it's not what you do, but how you do it that counts...

VicoPad addict!

Loobs72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
I think it will sync contacts if they are local ant not on an imap service...

VicoPad addict!

What do you mean by local? I just added a contact on my iPad?

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Loobs72 said:
What do you mean by local? I just added a contact on my iPad?

Locally saved on your device and not in another cloud like Google...

VicoPad addict!

Most reactions

Latest posts