What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo Stream disappeared from iPad Air and iPhone 6plus

MountianChick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After updating with iOS 10, photo stream disappeared from iPad Air and iPhone 6s Plus. Photos no longer sync, photo stream no longer showing under photo section on both devices. Turned on in settings. Cannot seem to correct, anyone have a suggestion? Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After updating with iOS 10, photo stream disappeared from iPad Air and iPhone 6s Plus. Photos no longer sync, photo stream no longer showing under photo section on both devices. Turned on in settings. Cannot seem to correct, anyone have a suggestion? Thanks
Have you gone to Settings>iCloud>Photos>My Photo Stream to make sure the switch wasn't accidentally turned off?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried restarting your devices? Press and hold both the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release both buttons and wait for the device to restart.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hold in mind that Photostream is not a permanent album. Photos that go into Photostream can dissappear due to both time limits and limits on the number of photos. Photostream does not restore itself from iCloud. If for some reason Photostream gets turned off on your device, then turned back on, only photos taken after it's been turned on will be added.

People have a tendancy to treat Photostream as a 'permanent' recent photos album. It's not. It was meant as a quick way to share recent photos between your devices.

That's all just a long way of saying don't trust your photos to Photostream. Use it if you want so you can easily cop[y photos from one device to another, but don't leave anything there as the sole copy.

If you want a permanent album that shows up on all your iOS devices (and don't want to use iCloud Photo Library), iCloud Photo Sharing is the way to do it. You have to add the photos to albums manually, but they are backed up in iCloud and will come back if the iOS device loses them during a restore, update, or other reason. I used ot use photo sharing a lot for just this kind of thing.

Note: iCloud Photo Library makes both Photostream and Photo Sharing redundant for personal use, but tends to require more space than the 5GB of iCloud storage Apple gives you for free.

OP
M

MountianChick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hold in mind that Photostream is not a permanent album. Photos that go into Photostream can dissappear due to both time limits and limits on the number of photos. Photostream does not restore itself from iCloud. If for some reason Photostream gets turned off on your device, then turned back on, only photos taken after it's been turned on will be added.

People have a tendancy to treat Photostream as a 'permanent' recent photos album. It's not. It was meant as a quick way to share recent photos between your devices.

That's all just a long way of saying don't trust your photos to Photostream. Use it if you want so you can easily cop[y photos from one device to another, but don't leave anything there as the sole copy.

If you want a permanent album that shows up on all your iOS devices (and don't want to use iCloud Photo Library), iCloud Photo Sharing is the way to do it. You have to add the photos to albums manually, but they are backed up in iCloud and will come back if the iOS device loses them during a restore, update, or other reason. I used ot use photo sharing a lot for just this kind of thing.

Note: iCloud Photo Library makes both Photostream and Photo Sharing redundant for personal use, but tends to require more space than the 5GB of iCloud storage Apple gives you for free.

Thank you for responding. I understand that photo stream photos are not permanent, new photos are not syncing and the photo stream file is not visible. Appreciate your help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, lets go over some of the requirements and see if anything is missing.

• Photostream must be turned on, on all devices that you want to share their photos.
  • All devices must use the same iCloud account.
  • Photos will only transfer when they are connected to wi-if. This means both devices must have been on wi-if at some point, one to upload and one to download, before you see the photos.
One of the half-step checks you can make is to go to icloud.com on a computer browser, sign in with your iCloud ID, and see if the Photostream is showing up there. That will eliminate whether the photos are not getting downloaded to the other device, or not getting uploaded in the first place.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll chime in if anything else occures to me.

Note: Oh carp. I just realized that without Photostream turned on I can't tell if it still shows up in iCloud.com, or only in the Photos app on the iMac. I'll see if I can test it out over the next day or so and see what happens. (Assuming I don't get confirmation from another member, or an all clear from you).

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. I've found out I can't test Photostream for you.

Apparently it only shows up on devices that do not have iCloud Photo Library turned on. When you activate it on a device that has iCloud Library on, it sends photos to the Photostream but does not display a Photostream album. Only devices that have Photo Stream turned on, but not have iCloud Photo Library, will show a Photostream album.

In short, Photostream is a stopgap for people who either do not use iCloud Photo Library, or have at least one device where they can't (or don't) use iCloud Photo Library.

That sort of makes sense, since iCloud Photo Library makes Photostream redundant.

So that ends my testing. Turning iCloud Photo Library on and off is a major hassle, and risks messing up the library. I'm not that brave.

Sorry.

Most reactions

Latest posts