What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo pixels

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
is there any way to determine the number of pixels in a photo on the iPad camera roll? I know if it is large enough when you mail it, it will give you the full size as well as reduced pixel options but only when it is big and that is rather round about!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
is there any way to determine the number of pixels in a photo on the iPad camera roll? I know if it is large enough when you mail it, it will give you the full size as well as reduced pixel options but only when it is big and that is rather round about!
There are several free and paid apps in the App Store that let you view the EXIF data for the pictures in your camera roll. Just enter EXIF into the search box of the App Store and you'll see several EXIF viewer apps available. I use Photo's EXIF, which is no longer available in the App Store. Here's a screenshot showing the data, including the pixel dimensions, that's availible for any picture in your camera roll.
image.jpg

Other apps may show more or less than what's shown here but they'll all show the pixel dimensions, shown as image size in this screenshot. The total size of the photo, in MB, is also shown under File size.

One of the best Curently in the App Store is EXIF Wizard-Pro available for $1.99. There is also a free version with fewer features.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Well, Scifan... has offered a suggestion - the native Photo App will not supply the information desired although some basic 'editing' tools have been added.

You'll need an imaging app that will provide the 'metadata' for the image(s) desired, and even manipulate the size if that is needed; I have three on my iPad Air 2 at the moment: 1) Photogene; 2) Snapseed; and 3) PhotoShop Touch, all of which will satisfy the criteria described.

Attached is an image opened in Photogene w/ the metadata dialog box shown - the others can provide similar information. Dave :)
Space.PNG

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've posted this before, but here it is again.

When you email images from the iPad you have a choice of image quality/size: Small, Medium, Large, and Actual. Here is a quick list I made for myself to keep track of what each size means in terms of pixels. It’s not a complete list. I’ve been negligent about keeping it up to date and no longer have some of the devices handy for testing.

Screen Shot on Retina iPad (3rd generation and later)
  • Small = 320 x 240
  • Medium = 640 x 480
  • Large = 1366 x 1024
  • Actual = 2048 x 1536

Camera on iPad (3rd gen) thru iPad Air
  • Small = 320 x 240
  • Medium = 640 x 478
  • Large = 1296 x 968
  • Actual = 2592 x 1936
  • Small Sq = 320 x 320
  • Medium Sq = 640 x 640
  • Large Sq = 1280 x 1280
  • Actual Sq = 1936 x 1936

* Sq = the new Square aspect mode that came out with iOS 7

** I’ve removed the information for the iPad 2. It was obviously wrong, once I started to think about it, and I have no way to go back and figure out how I got it wrong.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for various replies. I have several photo editing apps including Snapseed. I don't see where to get pixel info in Snapseed or handy photo or aviary. I'll check those others you suggested.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for various replies. I have several photo editing apps including Snapseed. I don't see where to get pixel info in Snapseed or handy photo or aviary. I'll check those others you suggested.
You can find the information in Snapseed when you tap "Help" at the upper right:
image.jpg

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Johanna. Sneaky to hide it in Help. Don't they know that "real men don't need help" :)

Most reactions

Latest posts