What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo browsing

butterflies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
In the forest of possible apps I got lost.
I am searching for an app that can create multiple levels of folders, building up an archive. Main purpose is for my wife and our family to browse our photoalbums (and possibly) video's. We have Wifi, but I am not sure how it works to browse through online web photo archives. Moreover, we want to be able to show/see our albums also when no wifi is available.

I see many apps, such as ipicasa (free) on one end and Photosmith (expensive) on the other end.
I downloaded iPicasa and I cannot work with it. Clicking upload leads nowhere. Do I need to have online albums for this app or can I also simply browse my local (iPad) files. If so then how can I make it find the albums that are already in Photos. Or how can I upload images from camera or pc (I do have the camera connection kit)?

I have searched for a user guide of iPicasa but to no avail. Will I be able to delete photo's, resize etc?

I find it also important that I can choose a resolution for the uploads (before OR after uploading) since the 64 GB on the ipad have to be respected on the long term. Is this possible in iPicasa, Photosmith or any other app (please advise).

I would also be happy with some support regarding online web albums. What and where and how can I do this, if I want to browse them with the Ipad. It seems ideal to have the online archive as a back up and a copy from it on the ipad for offline browsing. What is the best app to do this.

Many thanks,
Rob

;)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

You've already brought up numerous possibilities and I could easily add 3 or 4 more choices that I have on my iPad2?

Assuming that you are running iOS5 on your iPad, have you tried the 'native' photo app already present? If your photos are on a computer (you can easily resize the ones desired there; and not sure if you have a Mac or PC); but on my VISTA laptop, I have created a folder in the 'Pictures' location named 'iPad Photos' - your computer images can be placed there; also, sub-folders can be added for specific topic/dates/etc., such as trips, family or other - then just sync to your iPad in some fashion and that folder (and its sub-folders) should be on your iPad in the photo app - give it a try to see if your needs are satisfied? If not, then post back for more suggestions - good luck!

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to ipf,

Have you tried something like Dropbox?

I hope you find this forum as informative and addictive as I do!
You will find that there are many members with a great knowledge base, waiting to help you with any issue you might have.

# Don't forget to use the search function, as there is a lot of issues already resolved here.
# If you haven't already, download the user manual for free at: http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipad
# Also, feel free to have a look at this thread, it gives great tips and tricks for new users: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
# Ensure you take time to familiarize yourself with the forum rules at: http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Now that you are here you will never want to leave, so have the time of your life. :)

Regards,
Chays

OP
B

butterflies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

You've already brought up numerous possibilities and I could easily add 3 or 4 more choices that I have on my iPad2?

Assuming that you are running iOS5 on your iPad, have you tried the 'native' photo app already present? If your photos are on a computer (you can easily resize the ones desired there; and not sure if you have a Mac or PC); but on my VISTA laptop, I have created a folder in the 'Pictures' location named 'iPad Photos' - your computer images can be placed there; also, sub-folders can be added for specific topic/dates/etc., such as trips, family or other - then just sync to your iPad in some fashion and that folder (and its sub-folders) should be on your iPad in the photo app - give it a try to see if your needs are satisfied? If not, then post back for more suggestions - good luck!

No, I haven't updated yet to 5.0. Can I do that without loosing all apps and files?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No, I haven't updated yet to 5.0. Can I do that without loosing all apps and files?

Well, the proposed solution I gave previously will certainly work w/ the older version of iOS 4.x - I used that solution before upgrading to iOS 5.

But, iOS 5 will provide a newer version of the native photo app (cropping, album creation, etc.) and also more sync (esp. wireless) choices depending on your preferences. To upgrade you need the most recent version of iTunes (10.5) on your computer first, and then must use the cable for the iOS 5 upgrade - if all goes well, your apps & data should be saved to your computer and then restored - my iPad2 came back fine; others were not as lucky - check out the forum for upgrading issues (there is a troubleshooting thread) - good luck! :)

OP
B

butterflies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, thanks. I will look at it, but from the info I could get on the new native PHOTO app, I am sure it will not be enough for my needs. I would be happy if you (Giradman) could suggest some other apps which could do the things I outlined in the first post.
Thanks

OP
B

butterflies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll narrow down my questions.
I made up a list of apps that could do what I hope for:
Photosmith, Photo Manager Pro and Photo Shack Pro for photo management.
Filterstorm, Perfect Photo Free, Photogene, Photoshop Express, Amopic for photo editing.
iResize for resizing images.

Now I am just curious about the compatibility of the apps that I will choose. Will the photomanagement and editing apps together make a nice workflow?
Or is there an app that does both management and editing (and resizing, preferably before uploading)? I see that Filterstorm Pro makes it's own libraries. Is this any good for photo management/browsing? Does Filterstorm (as Photo Shack does) use the Ipad Photo Library, without need to duplicate.

Thanks,
Rob

Most reactions

Latest posts