What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Photo Sharing?

harpangel36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got an iPad and want to show my photos. Since I don't have enough memory for all my photos, what is a good app or website to upload my photos and show them as a slide show? I have bought a couple of apps so far and can't seem to get them to work well without a lot of tedious steps. I would also like to share my short videos online is possible. Is there an app or site for that?

Blessings, Roxanne

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

I use the MobileMe iDisk cloud storage that Apple offers with the iPad to store my photos, but other members have recommended DropBox. I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback....

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

OP
H

harpangel36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for such a quick answer, Tim. I am excited to learn more about my iPad!! What is the difference between iCloud and sites such as shutterfly anf Flickr for sharing my photos and videos?

darthluke12694

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
harpangel36 said:
What is the difference between iCloud and sites such as shutterfly anf Flickr for sharing my photos and videos?

The iDisk (that's what it is officially called, not iCloud) is where you can upload anything, and view it. Like you can upload all of your pictures, videos, files, music, etc, and you would be able to view it. However, it does cost $99 per year, and you are still limited on how much you can store. Personally, I do not recommend this service. It just costs too much, and still be limited. There are many rumors out of course, with the iPad 3 and iOS 5, about having more services with their cloud service, but I would wait to see what it is.

Dropbox works the same way, and it is great. I would recommend this app no matter what you decide. It is free! Up to 2GB of storage. You upload any pictures, files, etc on your computer, then you find them on your iPad through the app. Makes it much easier and less time consuming since you don't transfer the file through iTunes.

Then you have just photo sharing sites like Flickr. I use Flickr. It is great. And just in case you didn't know, it is run by yahoo. A free account limits you to 100mb worth of storage per year. However, you can pay just $25 per year and get unlimited storage. When you upload photos, you can choose from different settings. You can make them public, or selective private, or private. Public means everyone can see them. Selective private means you can choose who sees them (like family and friends, they must be a contact of yours on Flickr and marked as family or friend) or totally private where only you can see them. This service is great if you have family living far away and want to share any pictures with them.
The only bad thing is that Flickr does not do videos, unless if they are less than 90 seconds. However, I still highly recommend Flickr. You can test drive Flickr to see if you like it by using their free account, and later upgrade if you wish.

The only negative thing is that you would have to view the pictures through the website, however their are many 3rd party apps out their. I use flickpad pro.

It all comes down to what you want. If you have a lot of pictures, especially wanting to share some with family, Flickr is your best bet. If you want to store files, etc, then you could go to a cloud storage service, and I'm sure they are good, but I would not recommend it, especially since it sounds like you mainly have pictures. If you only have a few files, use dropbox.

Hope all that helps.

Last edited:
OP
H

harpangel36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an online site like shutterfly or flicker to be able to view videos uploaded? Preferably not limited in time or file size. I am able to show my photos well through those sites but would love to show my videos.

darthluke12694

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
harpangel36 said:
Does anyone know if there is an online site like shutterfly or flicker to be able to view videos uploaded? Preferably not limited in time or file size. I am able to show my photos well through those sites but would love to show my videos.

The only one I know of is dropshots. It is $4.95 per month. You are limited in 10 minutes in length, but it's better then Flickr. It will be hard to find a good video sharing site.

OP
H

harpangel36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Darthluke can you also share photos with dropshots? It seems it would be worth 4.95 per month to have one site to share unlimited everything and that is still less than mobile me or cloud. What do you think?

wigsajumper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Picasa the google photo website will do videos and plenty of pictures. They give you 1 gig of storage and you can upgrade for more.

I don't know how well it works with iPad right now because I am still waiting for mine but there is a post in the forums about an app called Web Albums that seems to be nice.

darthluke12694

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
harpangel36 said:
Darthluke can you also share photos with dropshots? It seems it would be worth 4.95 per month to have one site to share unlimited everything and that is still less than mobile me or cloud. What do you think?

Yes, you can share photos by adding friends, or by sending invitations. However, I just tested the website on my iPad. It is a horrible website to view on the iPad. Very slow and hard to login. Also, you can't view the full size of the picture. I'm sorry about that. So I would not suggest to get that, since you want to view pictures on your iPad.

I would also suggest Picasa. I forgot about them. You can upload both pictures and videos (up to 1 GB per video) and share it with people. For 20GB, it is $5 per year. 80GB = $20. 200GB = $50. I'm not sure if you would be interested in that. Like another person mentioned, there is an app called Web Albums ($2.99) and it looks pretty good, however, I've never used it.

One alternative that most people wouldn't think about would be Carbonite. It is $54.95 per year. It backs up your whole hard drive. There is a carbonite app for the iPad. You can view and download pictures. However, they limit downloading to 10mb per file. So you would not be able to view videos, but it's another idea. Backing up to carbonite is unlimited, just not viewing them on the iPad app.

Mozy which is like Carbonite charges $5.99 per month for 50GB. $9.99 per month for 125GB. They do have an app, but for iPhone. You can check that out, but that may not be the best.

OP
H

harpangel36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DarthLuke, which website were you talking about that you just tested on your ipad that was very slow and hard to log in. Was that the google picasa? I really appreciate all the info on this forum. I am most interested in a site to share my videos since, there are so many photo site available. But some of my videos are 5-6 minutes long and fairly large in size. Again, thanks for all the suggestions!!

Reaction score
Photobucket. There is an app for Apple and Android,easy to use website for the desktop and very customizable. And it's free

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

darthluke12694

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
harpangel36 said:
DarthLuke, which website were you talking about that you just tested on your ipad that was very slow and hard to log in. Was that the google picasa? I really appreciate all the info on this forum. I am most interested in a site to share my videos since, there are so many photo site available. But some of my videos are 5-6 minutes long and fairly large in size. Again, thanks for all the suggestions!!

Dropshots was the website that basically doesn't work with the iPad. I am not sure about picasa, but there are apps available.

Most reactions

Latest posts