What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phoneclean download

Bob.marion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have run out of space on my Ipad2 so cannot update to the latest IOS7. I have tried deleting emails and trash and some apps but the usage does not seem to be affected particularly in emails. I have tried downloading phoneclean software from various sites but get the message "download failed. Safari cannot download this file". Some threads on the forum suggest other users have been successful. Any suggestions please.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have run out of space on my Ipad2 so cannot update to the latest IOS7. I have tried deleting emails and trash and some apps but the usage does not seem to be affected particularly in emails. I have tried downloading phoneclean software from various sites but get the message "download failed. Safari cannot download this file". Some threads on the forum suggest other users have been successful. Any suggestions please.

Greetings, it appears that this cleaner needs to be installed on a PC or Mac and then run from there. Another thing to check with your iPad is plug it in to your computer and check the usage bar of your iPad in iTunes. Select your iPad in iTunes and look at the colored bar at the bottom of the window. The colors represent different types of data. I have a large amount of videos listed, but I don't have any in the Videos app. The videos I have on my iPad are in iTunes U. I keep forgetting about them.

OP
B

Bob.marion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Installation on PC went without a hitch and quick clean using Phoneclean created a small amount of space. However on using deep clean you have to pay for an upgrade to the software to do the actual clean but the benefits in terms of recovered space was minimal so I did not proceed. The software did not identify any areas of mail that could be removed to release space which was surprising since usage indicates 2.6 Gb is lurking somewhere in the mail account despite deleting from inbox and trash folders. Anyone any further suggestions please.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Deleting the email account and reinstalling will remove attachments you opened in the app, thus decreasing the storage used by the account.

Also look at Settings - General - Usage - Storage.
The apps that need the most storage space will be visible at the top. Maybe you'll see something you can remove as well.

Hope that helps.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try selectively upgrading using iTunes. You'll need to download the 7.1 firmware file on your computer, plug your device in, then hold shift (PC) or command (Mac OS) and click "Check for Updates". The computer browser will appear and you can point iTunes to the firmware file you've downloaded, and it will upgrade the device. It's similar to OTA updating but does not require the firmware file to be on-board the device

Sent from my iPad using Tapa

Most reactions

Latest posts