What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

ddavis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi ZAGG, Can you tell us when UK customers will receive their ZaggMate for iPad 2 orders? There seem to be people who ordered them weeks ago for mid-April (15th and 19th) despatch whose orders are still showing that they have not been sent. Why the delay and when will they get their orders?

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That doesn't make sense. I won't be in the office for a few more days, so I don't have access to that information. It's possible they were shipped, just not recorded. I'll send you an email you can respond to with your info and I'll have my people look into it.

ddavis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That doesn't make sense. I won't be in the office for a few more days, so I don't have access to that information. It's possible they were shipped, just not recorded. I'll send you an email you can respond to with your info and I'll have my people look into it.

As I've explained to ZAGG in a private message, but cannot see why it shouldn't be repeated here, I was going to order but a friend has had problems with his order - I've seen the e-mail from ZAGG customer services to him and he's been told there is a delay because of a problem at the fulfilment centre in Ireland. They say they cannot provide a despatch date. Given that information, and no firm indication when the order will be sent, I'm wary of placing an order.

Elsewhere in this forum is a message from another person who says their UK order has been delayed, too. It would be useful to know how much longer the delay will be.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking into this and will have an answer back soon. I didn't know we had any bottlenecks in the UK. I'll have an answer shortly.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZaggMate with keyboard is the greatest concept for an iPad accessory, yet. However, I am having trouble with runaway typing on my ZaggMate keyboard/iPad. Each key pressed repeats until another is pressed. Then, that one repeats. I searched here for "runaway keys" and found nothing. It has not resolved with powering off iPad or keyboard. Now, my virtual keyboard is not popping up. It all started while I was adding a bookmark to Safari. I have seen this problem mentioned on another forum, but no real answers were forthcoming. I apologize if this has been discussed.
Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Tim

I discovered early on that when bluetooth is activated the virtual keyboard is disabled. To use the virtual keyboard again just go to settings and disable bluetooth.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or turn off the ZAGGmate by sliding the switch or press the keyboard button on the top row of the ZAGGmate to toggle the onscreen keyboard on or off.

drhulsey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zagg keyboard and iPad have been off overnight. Bluetooth has been off since last evening. There is still no virtual keyboard to be seen. This started with with the key repeat episode. It could be two different problems. I'm not panicking, but it is a problem not having either keyboard.

Tim

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have some iOs software issues. If the iPad can't see a keyboard (like when it's switched off), it should go straight to the onscreen keyboard. I'd start with an update of your software and see where that takes you. The ZAGGmate can't cause the problems you describe. If the iPad won't default to the onscreen keyboard, something is wrong with the iPad.

Reaction score
Zagg keyboard and iPad have been off overnight. Bluetooth has been off since last evening. There is still no virtual keyboard to be seen. This started with with the key repeat episode. It could be two different problems. I'm not panicking, but it is a problem not having either keyboard.

Tim

Have you tried holding the home and power button on the Ipad for about 15-17 seconds ?
It's a different type of reboot that might clear up the glitch.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking into this and will have an answer back soon. I didn't know we had any bottlenecks in the UK. I'll have an answer shortly.

When will the wood finish skin (for the back) for the Ipad2 be available?

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually learned something new. Thanks. I wouldn't go out and buy one for that reason because you hardly ever have to charge the ZAGGmate. But, it could come in handy in a pinch if you have one. Thanks again.

The only technical issue is iOS drops the voltage slightly on the USB camera connection kit adapter. This is why thumb drives don't work as the port needs to power them. In charging batteries the voltage needs to be higher so current will flow into the battery being charged. You may get a little recharge action ... But not a lot. This is also why Apple provides a separate charging brick .. It puts out higher voltage ... Otherwise it would take forever to charge up the iPad battery. FWIW

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In a bind, though, having the ability to just power the ZaggMate keyboard (even if it doesn't charge it at all) using the Camera Connection Kit is still a nice little thing to know, in case you were in a bind, with a dead ZaggMate!

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry about the letter T issue. These keyboards are very sturdy and durable. The letters are placed onto the scissor mechanism on an assembly line and it sounds like your T wasn't placed correctly. I'm also assuming the defect on the T is what was causing the pairing issue as your keyboard was probably sending that letter the whole time. Please call customer support and we will replace your unit right away and make it worth your while. Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Thanks. My wife will be calling on Monday.

After reading the FAQ I wonder if having paired another keyboard may have caused a problem. Can you pair more than one keyboard to an iPad?

No ... Bluetooth only allows one pairing at a time ... Other wise confusion to iPad would set in.

Rusty Robot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keys still not working

So I'm on my second keyboard now it is just as defective as the first one. Unfortunately this time around I lost the receipt so I can't replace it for a 3rd time...

1. Random keys do not work. Mostly in the top row. QWERTY and UIOP work when they feel like it, which is about 20% of the time.

2. Constantly get double key presses. AA BB CC...

3. Re-pairing the device, restarting bluetooth and resetting the keyboard does nothing to help it. Tried every combination possible.

4. Newest iOS to date.

5. Keyboard at full charge.

6. It takes up to 2 minutes for all the keys to register correctly and a few minutes later they stop working again.

7. Bought first one at one Best Buy, returned and replaced it at another location, so it's not an abused shipment or anything. Some Best Buy stores tend to drop boxes without a care. (I bought a TV 2 years ago that was damaged upon opening it up.)

I own a $100 stand for my iPad. Sigh.

Most reactions