What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG said:
As we have begun mass production, it is safe to list the changes to the ZAGGmate for iPad 2. Besides the obvious change in dimensions to accomodate the smaller iPad, here are the differences between ZAGGmate for iPad 1 and iPad 2.

1. Lower front lip
2. Smaller on/ off switch
3. Larger pairing button
4. Updated key printing on keyboard and a few extra functions
5. Lower edges to accommodate thinner iPad
6. Headphone cutout
7. Switched charging port for iPad from left side to right side
8. Magnet to activate auto on/ off function on iPad
9. Wider and thinner feet for back of ZAGGmate with stronger adhesive

Pictures should be posted on website soon

Any updates on the delivery schedule or pictures?

iMadHatter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am interested in one but am gonna hold off until i see how much typing i actual do on the ipad.

I also have a laptop so most extensive typing is done on that, but when the new imac comes out i plan on buying that and selling my laptop.

I am sure the ZAGGmate will help bridge from desktop to laptop without actually having a laptop.

tldearden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iMadHatter said:
i am interested in one but am gonna hold off until i see how much typing i actual do on the ipad.

I also have a laptop so most extensive typing is done on that, but when the new imac comes out i plan on buying that and selling my laptop.

I am sure the ZAGGmate will help bridge from desktop to laptop without actually having a laptop.

I have the ZAGGmate and i have virtually relegated my laptop to office use it has made the iPad so business-user friendly. I'm also going to look at the Brookstone bluetooth case/keyboard. The only drawback to the ZAGGmate is that when I want to use the iPas as a pure tablet, the ZAGGmate is kind of in the way.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand your comment about using it as a pure tablet, but the new ZAGGmate is thinner and the iPad is flat, so if you turn the iPad over inside the ZAGGmate, it sits flat and is much thinner and lighter than any folio on the market. Further, the rubber keyboards can be a drag. I'm told the new pictures may be up on the website today, so that means they should be up no later than tomorrow. Just go to ZAGGmate.com

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG said:
I understand your comment about using it as a pure tablet, but the new ZAGGmate is thinner and the iPad is flat, so if you turn the iPad over inside the ZAGGmate, it sits flat and is much thinner and lighter than any folio on the market. Further, the rubber keyboards can be a drag. I'm told the new pictures may be up on the website today, so that means they should be up no later than tomorrow. Just go to ZAGGmate.com

The new pictures are up. Thanks. You might consider one of it sitting flat or showing more side on fully closed. I hadn't thought about setting it against the hinge but braced in front for a shallower angle - how well does the front stay in place in that position?

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I looked at the pictures. The second one (with the 3G iPad) is not accurate. I'll have it changed tomorrow and see if we can add another one or two. If you look and see none with a 3G iPad, then it's been changed.

Yes, the angle where the iPad is resting on the hinge works quite well and is very sturdy. It's good for content consumption. We've discussed it in previous posts but we never had a picture.

Almost forgot. We improved the anodizing to give the ZAGGmate a more scratch resistant finish. Like all metal, it can still be scratched but it takes more work and is less visible than the previous ZAGGmate.

Last edited:

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great news!! I pre-ordered awhile ago. Do I still have to wait until April 15th for shipping. When I ordered, it said March 31st.

See if you can get photos that show the improvement listed in your earlier post.

Last edited:

iMadHatter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iMadHatter said:

I have the ZAGGmate and i have virtually relegated my laptop to office use it has made the iPad so business-user friendly. I'm also going to look at the Brookstone bluetooth case/keyboard. The only drawback to the ZAGGmate is that when I want to use the iPas as a pure tablet, the ZAGGmate is kind of in the way.

that is what i figure will happen to me, except i dont plan on having a laptop at all. A desktop will be used for the graphics making and downloading along with other things that more power is needed.

The imac will be perfect for me, apple is known for its amazing abilities in the arts. I also am going to use my imac as a tv.

The ipad is more powerful then i imagined it would be and the zagg will alleviate my only concern, typing extensive documents on a touchscreen. I have tried it on an iphone but i am just not as fast... just something about being able to feel the keys.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG said:
I looked at the pictures. The second one (with the 3G iPad) is not accurate. I'll have it changed tomorrow and see if we can add another one or two. If you look and see none with a 3G iPad, then it's been changed.

Yes, the angle where the iPad is resting on the hinge works quite well and is very sturdy. It's good for content consumption. We've discussed it in previous posts but we never had a picture.

Almost forgot. We improved the anodizing to give the ZAGGmate a more scratch resistant finish. Like all metal, it can still be scratched but it takes more work and is less visible than the previous ZAGGmate.

Sold! Just placed my order and I'm looking forward to having a real keyboard for those times when I actually need to type.

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great news!! I pre-ordered awhile ago. Do I still have to wait until April 15th for shipping. When I ordered, it said March 31st.

See if you can get photos that show the improvement listed in your earlier post.

So today was supposed to be the ship date for my Zaggmate. It didn't ship. Curses!! :(

But, along with the apologizes was the promise of a free gift for my troubles. I'll let Zagg say what the gift is is he/she chooses, but let's just say, I was appeased.

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you've got an existing iPad Zagg has a 50% and 75% off sale going on. I'm getting a invisishield for my ancient (2 years old) Palm Pre for $3.75.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, the pictures on the website have all been updated with the new ZAGGmate for iPad 2. Personally, I think the look is a little cleaner with a new font on the keys, improved power switch and pairing button, and lower sides to accomodate thinner iPad. I think people will appreciate the lower front edge that is the same height as the spacebar rather than being higher than the spacebar. Also, people really like the auto-on/ off feature and headphone cutout. Overall, we are very pleased with it.

On the downside, due to the overwhelming demand, we are about a week behind on being caught up on shipping all these out. For those people who ordered when the shipping date was April 8th, you'll be fine. Same goes for April 15th (In fact, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised). For those of you who saw March 31st as your shipping date, ZAGG will be sending you a free pair of ZAGGsmartbuds with your new ZAGGmate as a way of showing our appreciation for your patience. The details are shown below.

"To show our appreciation for your patience, we are including with your ZAGGmate order a free pair of our award-winning ZAGGsmartbuds ($49.99 retail value). ZAGGsmartbuds are multifunctional; including a microphone and in-line music control to easily switch between music and phone calls on almost all smartphones. ZAGGsmartbuds can be worn in a specific slider alignment called "Hangin' Tight," which keeps the buds around your neck, even when not in use. We hope you enjoy this free gift to you."

Thanks for your patience. Again, this gift is only being given to those who ordered while we were showing a shipping date of the 31st. You should have already received an email explaining this.

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The "My Account" page is returning a 404 Error. so I can't check my status. I thought I'd pre-ordered but, at my age, thinking about doing something is quite often the same as actually having done it!

Most reactions

Latest posts