What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandmyipad,

I am using my ZAGGmate and pressed the characters you referenced and got the results you are looking for. See åø. No problem. As far as more characters and such, you can change the keyboard language settings on the iPad and do even more. For instance, if you like AZERTY layout better, you can make that setting in the iPad software and put a sticker over the appropriate letters on the ZAGGmate and it will allow for the keyboard to work that way. You could then put a sticker over the appropriate letter to remind you as well. That being said, we are working to get more customized keyboards in the ZAGGmate and this will happen shortly.

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandmyipad,

I am using my ZAGGmate and pressed the characters you referenced and got the results you are looking for. See åø. No problem. As far as more characters and such, you can change the keyboard language settings on the iPad and do even more. For instance, if you like AZERTY layout better, you can make that setting in the iPad software and put a sticker over the appropriate letters on the ZAGGmate and it will allow for the keyboard to work that way. You could then put a sticker over the appropriate letter to remind you as well. That being said, we are working to get more customized keyboards in the ZAGGmate and this will happen shortly.

Could I use a DVORAK layout with the Zaggmate? That would be a cool way to speed up typing and possibly reduce my concern over my big hands and a small keyboard.

Thanks!

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure, Apple has added quite a few unique layouts to the software. The keyboard doesn't know what letter is printed on it. It just sends a command like row 2, column 3 to the device and the device chooses what to do with it. It's pretty slick. Feel free to go into the settings on your iPad and test it out. Of course, the next step is to put stickers over the keys to label them or if you're adventurous, you can actually move the keys. With practice, it's not too tough.

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We are putting the finishing touches on the ZAGGmate for the iPad 2. Give us just a couple more days and I can confirm all the changes. As far as the iPad 2 fitting into the current ZAGGmate, I'd wait for the new one. The ZAGGmate 2 will be custom made to fit the newer iPad and it will also have a few improvements. Technically, the iPad 2 will "fit" in the ZAGGmate, but it would do it in the same way your size 10 feet would fit in size 12 shoes. Obviously, this won't work in reverse. The iPad 1 certainly won't "fit" in the ZAGGmate 2. I'll give some updates as soon as we start mass production and everything is finalized.

Any update on when we'll be able to see the new Zaggmate?

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We will have photos of the production version early next week and we will be shipping by the end of the month, as we say on our website. Hang in there just a bit longer. Thanks for your patience.

sati747

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zaggmate and ipad 2 with Smart cover

Zagg,

Can Zaggmate for ipad2 accommodate an ipad2 with smart cover on? Thank you.

sati747

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you could fold the smart cover over the iPad back and then put it in the ZAGGmate. For those wanting the smart cover and or the ZAGGmate and some back protection for the iPad when in the ZAGGmate, now you have it. Not sure how many people will do it, but we've verified it is possible.

Last edited:

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you could fold the smart cover over the iPad back and then put it in the ZAGGmate. For those wanting the smart cover and or the ZAGGmate and some back protection for the iPad when in the ZAGGmate, now you have it. Not sure how many people will do it, but we've verified it is possible.

Interesting. I've preordered and am anxiously awaiting. Got a smartcover too and was wondering how this will work out. If I sling the smartcover around back, I wonder how it doesn't just flap around? Maybe that's obvious, but I haven't received my hardware yet (waiting for online order).

Please do let us know when photos and specs are up.

streddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zaggmate with folio case

Hi,

I'm a business user and I'm considering getting the Zaggmate for the iPad2 and using it inside folio. I'd like to be able to open the folio and on the left have the iPad (screen up but with the Zaggmate on the back) and the right have a writing pad. If I need to be able to do some serious text entry, then I can pull the iPad (with Zaggmate) out of the folio and use the keyboard.

Does this seem like a viable option? I really love the slim design of the Zaggmate and don't want to go down the Clamcase route for a alternative netbook.

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a business user and I'm considering getting the Zaggmate for the iPad2 and using it inside folio. I'd like to be able to open the folio and on the left have the iPad (screen up but with the Zaggmate on the back) and the right have a writing pad. If I need to be able to do some serious text entry, then I can pull the iPad (with Zaggmate) out of the folio and use the keyboard.

Does this seem like a viable option? I really love the slim design of the Zaggmate and don't want to go down the Clamcase route for a alternative netbook.

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers
Very interesting, but sounds like a custom solution you'd have to make yourself. Also, it sounds like your notepad might come in contact with the iPad screen - not good. I could see the Zaggmate on one side with the iPad face down when not in use and the other side with notepad, stylus and pen. A little bulkier than I'd like, but workable. I'd try writing with a stylus for a few months before I got that complicated though.

I am thinking of where the stylus goes if my Zaggmate is my only case. I'm actually going to put the iPad2 w/Zaggmate in the file storage of my padfolio and only pull it out when needed. That's even bulkier, but I need the file storage, business card storage, and other stuff I can shove in my padfolio.
Something like this, but I've added shoulder straps so I don't leave it somewhere. Samsill Sterling Zipper Pad Holder

Spongebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there anything really different between the Zagg for the Ipad 2? I have the keyboard already but switched to Ipad 2.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGGmate for iPad 2

As we have begun mass production, it is safe to list the changes to the ZAGGmate for iPad 2. Besides the obvious change in dimensions to accomodate the smaller iPad, here are the differences between ZAGGmate for iPad 1 and iPad 2.

1. Lower front lip
2. Smaller on/ off switch
3. Larger pairing button
4. Updated key printing on keyboard and a few extra functions
5. Lower edges to accommodate thinner iPad
6. Headphone cutout
7. Switched charging port for iPad from left side to right side
8. Magnet to activate auto on/ off function on iPad
9. Wider and thinner feet for back of ZAGGmate with stronger adhesive

Pictures should be posted on website soon

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As we have begun mass production, it is safe to list the changes to the ZAGGmate for iPad 2. Besides the obvious change in dimensions to accomodate the smaller iPad, here are the differences between ZAGGmate for iPad 1 and iPad 2.

1. Lower front lip
2. Smaller on/ off switch
3. Larger pairing button
4. Updated key printing on keyboard and a few extra functions
5. Lower edges to accommodate thinner iPad
6. Headphone cutout
7. Switched charging port for iPad from left side to right side
8. Magnet to activate auto on/ off function on iPad
9. Wider and thinner feet for back of ZAGGmate with stronger adhesive

Pictures should be posted on website soon

Thanks, especially for 7 & 8. Looking forward to it. Will the invisibleshield for the zaggmate be ready at launch. Not sure how to order that to protect that beautiful aluminum.

Most reactions

Latest posts