What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm back.. question about hotspots

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got an iPad 2 awhile ago. Gave my dad my orig iPad.

Got the Verizon iPhone 4 on launch day.. unlimited data, unlimited talk/text, full insurance, and everything for $64 a month (I get a very nice discount).

However, I'd like to keep my unlimited data, but still use my iPhone as a hotspot for my iPad 2. My orig iPad was an AT&T, but this time around, I just went for wifi only. I don't plan to use much data on the iPad via hotspot, so I'm not worried about being in the top 5% of data users and getting slashed by Verizon.

Does jailbreaking allow this??

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having a little trouble understanding the OP's question.

() I'm assuming he/she means his/her iPhone is the 4S, not the 4.

() Tim's question is relevant, but as far as I know, the question applies to the iOS version on the phone, not the iPad. Right?

() If the assumptions above are true, then the issue is whether the iPhone 4S can be used as a mobile hotspot. Not certain what the answer to that question is, but (a) if Verizon supports tethering from the iPhone no jailbreaking is required and (b) if they don't then jailbreaking is required but I don't think there is a jailbreaking method for the new iPhone 4S running iOS 5. Right?

P.S. Apologies if I'm only confusing the issue.

OP
W

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded to iOS 5 2nd day it was released.

Sorry, forgot to mention that. But I assume if possible on iOS 4 it will be able to work on iOS 5 once they jailbreak/unlock (if not already)

OP
W

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPhone 4 via Verizon. Yes it can be used as a hotspot from Verzion, for $20 a month for 2GB of data.

I however, have unlimted data and hope to keep it that way. If I add the tether package for $50 (30 data on phone, $20 for "HOTSPOT" use), then I loose my unlimited data and bumped to only 2gb limit per month.

iPhone 4 - iOS 5
iPad 2 - iOS 5

Not sure if a jailbreak/unlock has been released yet for iOS 5..

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPhone 4 via Verizon. Yes it can be used as a hotspot from Verzion, for $20 a month for 2GB of data.

I however, have unlimted data and hope to keep it that way. If I add the tether package for $50 (30 data on phone, $20 for "HOTSPOT" use), then I loose my unlimited data and bumped to only 2gb limit per month.

iPhone 4 - iOS 5
iPad 2 - iOS 5

Not sure if a jailbreak/unlock has been released yet for iOS 5..

OK. Now I understand. As Tim notes, there is no jailbreak for iOS 5 at this point. And I'd only note that Apple is hard at work on each iteration of the OS to plug the holes that make jailbreaking possible. The hacking user community has great faith that holes will be found but I strongly suspect that Apple is just as vigilant in plugging the holes as jailbreakers are in finding them.

As for trying to preserve your unlimited data package, I feel your pain. But Verizon also understands what you're trying to do and that's why they've come up with various ways to force you off an unlimited data plan. They want to eliminate the grandfathered unlimited plans and this is how they do it.

As I see it you have one other option besides waiting for a jailbreak of iOS 5 which may never materialize (or may last only as long as it takes for Apple to close the hole.)

Keep your unlimited data package on your phone and purchase a mobile hotspot device from Verizon. This involves purchasing the device ($50-$100) and paying $50 per month for 5 gigs of data downloads. The advantage of this approach over the tethering option is that you get a 5 gig data ceiling and access to the Verizon 4G/LTE network. (It's 7-10 times faster than 3G.) In addition, it enables you to use 3G or 4G connectivity with up to five devices simultaneously.

This is the option I use. It works for me because I have to be able to connect my laptop via the cell phone network on a regular basis. Thus, the $50 per month is a sunk cost already. Using my wifi iPad with the Samsung Mobile Hotspot from Verizon gives me 4G/LTE performance at no additional cost. YMMV, of course. But it's a better option than paying for tethering with a lower data ceiling and slower performance at the same price.

OP
W

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought about the mobile hotspot idea (had one before with Sprint) and personally, I hate it. It's another device to carry around, and another charger to look out for. While it's great for out on the road, and such, it's just not for me. And I would never use the 5GB of data for $50 a month.

I think at most, I'd use maybe 1gb of data per month with the iPad - but I'd say 500mb would be a good average - Just facebook, web, and work documents on the go (excel files, or PDFs). I can do it all from my phone, but while sitting there in the parking lot at the airport, or at a meeting, it'd be nice to whip out the iPad and use the bigger screen.. but no way I'd pay $50 for a bigger screen to use lol

OP
W

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also on a side note, I live 3 miles from Mexico border. The whole town here (roughly 600k population) is so back-dated it's pathetic.

Which also means, no 4G service down here... I pay $40 for 25mbps cable internet.. I pull 3-6mbps durring the day, and maybe 15mbps at night after peak hours. Just to give you an idea...

Oh and traffic lights, on 55mph road, the yellow is only yellow for 2 seconds - Needless to say, techonlogy lacks down here.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought about the mobile hotspot idea (had one before with Sprint) and personally, I hate it. It's another device to carry around, and another charger to look out for. While it's great for out on the road, and such, it's just not for me. And I would never use the 5GB of data for $50 a month.

I think at most, I'd use maybe 1gb of data per month with the iPad - but I'd say 500mb would be a good average - Just facebook, web, and work documents on the go (excel files, or PDFs). I can do it all from my phone, but while sitting there in the parking lot at the airport, or at a meeting, it'd be nice to whip out the iPad and use the bigger screen.. but no way I'd pay $50 for a bigger screen to use lol

As I said, YMMV. Personally, I have no problem carrying around the mifi hotspot. (It's the size of a playing card and weighs about 2 oz.) It's true that I have to keep it charged, but the 5-6 hours of battery life it provides is all I need and the charger/cable fits easily in my bag. (Unlike the damn power brick I have to use with my 15" quad core laptop.)

As far as data use is concerned, I almost never use anything close to the 5 gig ceiling I get with the hotspot. But last week I was on a business trip where the "free wifi" in the hotel was virtually useless. My mobile hotspot gave me 4G/LTE speeds (5-9 mg/p/s) for my laptop and my iPad. Streaming video and audio were no problem at all.) And over the course of the seven days I used about 2.9 Gig of my monthly allotment. In short, it was a lifesaver.

Your situation is obviously different. But frankly, you're exactly the sort of customer that Verizon (and other carriers) are committed to eliminating from unlimited data plans when you try to add new and more data hungry devices like the iPad. As you note, perhaps you're unlikely to increase your data use when you tether an iPad to your phone. But Verizon knows many users will begin to stream video to their iPads when they didn't even consider it on a phone with a tiny screen. To limit the demand on their network (and obviously to increase their profits), Verizon and their brethren want you to purchase a 3G iPad with a separate (limited) data plan or pay an outrageous premium to tether your phone.

OP
W

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree.

Before I used roughly 2-3gb of data per month on my iPhone alone. Would stream Pandora radio in my truck. Also I never setup wifi at my office so I was using data at the office as well (Pandora with headphones on when doing my reports). But I finally put the password in for the wifi network at work, and with the wifi at home, and the new stereo in my truck with Sirius Sat Radio, I use roughly 250mb-500mb of data per month on the iPhone. I know I'd still be under data caps at 2GB for now, but who knows what featuers come up in the future. ALl the stuff I do on my iPhone, I'd just randomly do on my iPad so data wouldn't be increased anymore than if I just used my iPhone when away from a wifi service.

Now if I was a data hungry user, traveled a lot and such then yeah, I'd pony up and pay for the hotspot service, or get an external device. Or even swap my iPad 2 out with a Verizon iPad. But end of the day, it's a want, not a need.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also on a side note, I live 3 miles from Mexico border. The whole town here (roughly 600k population) is so back-dated it's pathetic.

Which also means, no 4G service down here... I pay $40 for 25mbps cable internet.. I pull 3-6mbps durring the day, and maybe 15mbps at night after peak hours. Just to give you an idea...

Oh and traffic lights, on 55mph road, the yellow is only yellow for 2 seconds - Needless to say, techonlogy lacks down here.

Not sure where you're located or if Mexico conquered New Mexico while I wasn't paying attention (Your location says Colorado. :)) But I feel your pain if you're in Brownsville/McAllen/etc. Texas. On the other hand, if you're in El Paso, Verizon does have 4G/LTE coverage there now.

Most reactions