What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personal Cloud Storage

Rhyso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.kinetictuning.co.uk
Just want to say a quick thanks for this thread. I purchased the 2TB version and it arrived today. Setup took less than 10 minutes and im currently copying my stuff to the WD Drive :). Also managed to setup access for both my iPad and iPhone!

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rhyso said:
Just want to say a quick thanks for this thread. I purchased the 2TB version and it arrived today. Setup took less than 10 minutes and im currently copying my stuff to the WD Drive :). Also managed to setup access for both my iPad and iPhone!

That is great to hear, let us know how you get on with it.

The Archangel

Pondy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi just want say very good thread,I've just bought a ZyXEL 2tb nas310 which seems to be alright up to now,upload speeds are between 1 and 5.5 mb/sec depending on what I'm uploading,my computers picked it up straight away and after a bit of web searching I got the polkast app for my iPad ,but then I had to go on to my ZyXEL admin page and download polkast onto my nas and now my iPad can see files,books,music and movies,as a matter of interest Gabriel1 what settings do you use on handbrake for converting avi's/mkv's to mp4's has mine have sempt to loose some quality .
PS I've just used the iPad setting on handbrake.

rooney03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe a little lazy as Iv not read all the previous posts just a few,:D my laptop is dying and im looking at well not looking at byt getting an Ipad 3 i have it in the basket at present. What I want to do is get rid of the laptop as i can get one from work. Im looking at a My Book Live 2TB as an option for storing all my music and videos etc. If I get one and connect to my laptop at start and transfer all my music to it can I then access all my music from the ipad? If I got apple TV aswell would it connect to that?

ANother question ....what would I need to transfer new CD's/DVD's to the My book live?

Im sure ill be back with more questions soon.

cheers
Sam

yep another quesion How would I transfer music to my ipods?

edit again....forgot, I do have a desktop pc in the garage that is used for cycling and rowing training. I could use this somehow...... but prefer to keep for only training software and online racing. if i installed itunes on it for use to transfer music from My Live book to my ipods, would that work?

Last edited:

Rhyso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.kinetictuning.co.uk
Yes you use the app for the iPad to view and play the files stored on your MBL.

To get the files onto your MBL you use your laptop to transfer them wirelessly; this is the most time consuming part especially if you have a lot of data to transfer.

With the desktop you can access the MBL direct if you install the software onto it and again connect wirelessly

Hope thats makes some sense!

rooney03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers I think I get how it works now.

What would be the best device to get that has USB so I can transfer files over slightly faster?

Pondy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What would be the best device to get that has USB so I can transfer files over slightly faster?

The ZyXEL nas310 as USB and esata ports,I've just moved mine from my home plug to the router and my upload speeds have gone from 5mbs to 12/15mbs ,uploads movies pretty quick

rooney03

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The ZyXEL nas310 as USB and esata ports,I've just moved mine from my home plug to the router and my upload speeds have gone from 5mbs to 12/15mbs ,uploads movies pretty quick

Hi just read a few reviews, can I use to store all music and play though iTunes on all my apple devices?
Cheers
Sam

Pondy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Sam I have got all my music and films on my nas,to play them back with iTunes I haven't a clue,me and iTunes don't get on very well,I use polkast which zyxel recommend or imediacontrol which is a sitecom router app.the nas as a iTunes setting which I've turned on but I can't get iTunes to see it (I'd like some help with that)

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sunrisewatcher said:
Hi Gabriel, does the wd2go app allow you to create music playlists?

Hmm, good question and one that I don't have an answer to just yet. All of my music is in iTunes so I don't use the WD MyBook Live for music, almost everything else yes but not music.

Worth noting is that the WD App has just been updated into a whole new app which I haven't tried out yet but if I get the chance I'll give it a try.

The Archangel

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Being early retired & having worked in an IT related business at a senior level, I now no longer need a PC. We travelled extensively, full time for 18 months when first retiring & the company IT gear went back, & the ancient unused home PC got trashed & thrown out. Since then, after returning home again with limited & purely domestic requirements for computing, we have been very much "post PC" for over a year now.

We have two android tablets (Asus tf101 & Lenovo A1) but in the UK the next sensible upgrade (as the HD screened Asus tf700 is £600/$900) will be to move to Apple & the new iPad.

Amongst the many reasons for doing this (other than just the stability & quality of iOS & its Apps) is to gain access to purchasing HD movies from iTunes, rather than buying bluray copies.

Now my question is this.... Can I buy movies on an iPad & then copy them onto something like Airstash directly from the iPad? I appreciate that I would need to stream them from the Airstash to the iPad & then via AppleTV onto our large screen, but it would give me effectively infinite storage for purchased movies.

I steadfastly refuse to buy another laptop or mac or pc just to be able to buy & keep legal movies, (my business life was in e-media, so I take a dim view of any other way of getting movies other than legal ones!) so I am hoping that there will be a way to do this. :)

As I have never owned an iPad, nor used iTunes in the past, if my question is stupid, please feel free to correct & direct me. :)

Thanks in advance...

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
janner43 said:
Being early retired & having worked in an IT related business at a senior level, I now no longer need a PC. We travelled extensively, full time for 18 months when first retiring & the company IT gear went back, & the ancient unused home PC got trashed & thrown out. Since then, after returning home again with limited & purely domestic requirements for computing, we have been very much "post PC" for over a year now.

We have two android tablets (Asus tf101 & Lenovo A1) but in the UK the next sensible upgrade (as the HD screened Asus tf700 is £600/$900) will be to move to Apple & the new iPad.

Amongst the many reasons for doing this (other than just the stability & quality of iOS & its Apps) is to gain access to purchasing HD movies from iTunes, rather than buying bluray copies.

Now my question is this.... Can I buy movies on an iPad & then copy them onto something like Airstash directly from the iPad? I appreciate that I would need to stream them from the Airstash to the iPad & then via AppleTV onto our large screen, but it would give me effectively infinite storage for purchased movies.

I steadfastly refuse to buy another laptop or mac or pc just to be able to buy & keep legal movies, (my business life was in e-media, so I take a dim view of any other way of getting movies other than legal ones!) so I am hoping that there will be a way to do this. :)

As I have never owned an iPad, nor used iTunes in the past, if my question is stupid, please feel free to correct & direct me. :)

Thanks in advance...

Hi janner,

To the best of my knowledge there is no way of saving iTunes movies, downloaded directly to the iPad to an external storage device however.......a purchased movie can be redownloaded again at any time which might help you out (obviously you will need to use your data allowance for this if you are not unlimited). Check out this link http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

It may be possible to access and save to an Airstash if you are jailbroken but it'll need one of our JB guru's to advise on this.

The Archangel

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi janner,

To the best of my knowledge there is no way of saving iTunes movies, downloaded directly to the iPad to an external storage device however.......a purchased movie can be redownloaded again at any time which might help you out (obviously you will need to use your data allowance for this if you are not unlimited). Check out this link Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

It may be possible to access and save to an Airstash if you are jailbroken but it'll need one of our JB guru's to advise on this.

The Archangel

They ain't making this easy for me, are they! :(

Thanks for the reply...:)

Most reactions