What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Person on other end of FaceTime cant hear me!

ian4c

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Talking Tom Microphone problem

Gutted, just used the talking Tom app on the iPad and it's not working unless I talk really close to the MF. The MF must be faulty, really disappointed tbh. Any ideas what the problem could be? Guess I should book it into the apple shop in glasgow as that's nearest one.

I have exactly the same problem. Each time the microphone goes of and you have to shout to get Talking Tom to hear is because I have been using Talking Tom.

My sister was so impressed with Talking Tom she went and bought the iPad Installed Talking Tom - you guessed - the mic problem has started!

Let me explain a few things.
The genius at the Apple Store in Exeter said it was not a problem with the iPad. It must be caused by apps and contact the App. He also said that because some if the Apps were designed for the iPhone then, by definition, the App expecting expecting to have the mic close to the mouth.

Have you ever heard such drivel from a Genius?

When the condition is on, iTalk recorder, will record perfectly well. So not a good check.
Skype will not function unless you shout.
Video, sound will not function unless you shout.

My considered opinion is that the problem is caused by Talking Tom.

Have been speaking with the Talking Tom company and they can find no problem.

I have found that some app work with the Ringer/speaker on or off. And playing with Air Hockey I have found strange things with turning the Speaker / Ringer switch / Rotation lock. I did find on on occasion with Air Hockey the sound disappeared completely regardless of the speaker switch setting. And to my surprise after a restart the microphone was back to normal.

But finally, yesterday when the condition was no microphone I happened to try an App called FriendCaller and after doing that my mic came back with Talking Tom, Video, Skype.

zakraven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you know i can hear my girlfriend but when she plays music on itunes or from youtube i cant hear it, does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? we are using facetime mac book to mac book pro

Jw1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I have the same problem and have tried the reset and checked all settings. Mute was not on. I did try calling my phone and everything worked fine but my phone was within 3 feet of the iPad. So I don't think it's the microphone! Hope to find a solution
Soon.

stevesandy50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jw1 said:
Hello, I have the same problem and have tried the reset and checked all settings. Mute was not on. I did try calling my phone and everything worked fine but my phone was within 3 feet of the iPad. So I don't think it's the microphone! Hope to find a solution
Soon.

I have same problem with my recording audio, microphone not picking up my voice for vidioor skype etc, arrrggg, did you get yours fixed ??

stevesandy50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
stevesandy50 said:
I have same problem with my recording audio, microphone not picking up my voice for vidioor skype etc, arrrggg, did you get yours fixed ??

I loaded FriendCaller as someone suggested but still can't record a msg even on this app.
Not sure what to do.
I did have Talking Tom once but deleted it sometime ago.
Might try re loading that app, just to see what happens.
Very frustrating.

Deepu62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having a different problem on Facetime ,I can speak and see the person on the other side but they can't see me,my camera is hanged .

stevesandy50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Deepu62 said:
I am having a different problem on Facetime ,I can speak and see the person on the other side but they can't see me,my camera is hanged .

I'm going to try and contact apple to see what they can do

stevesandy50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ian4c said:
I have exactly the same problem. Each time the microphone goes of and you have to shout to get Talking Tom to hear is because I have been using Talking Tom.

My sister was so impressed with Talking Tom she went and bought the iPad Installed Talking Tom - you guessed - the mic problem has started!

Let me explain a few things.
The genius at the Apple Store in Exeter said it was not a problem with the iPad. It must be caused by apps and contact the App. He also said that because some if the Apps were designed for the iPhone then, by definition, the App expecting expecting to have the mic close to the mouth.

Have you ever heard such drivel from a Genius?

When the condition is on, iTalk recorder, will record perfectly well. So not a good check.
Skype will not function unless you shout.
Video, sound will not function unless you shout.

My considered opinion is that the problem is caused by Talking Tom.

Have been speaking with the Talking Tom company and they can find no problem.

I have found that some app work with the Ringer/speaker on or off. And playing with Air Hockey I have found strange things with turning the Speaker / Ringer switch / Rotation lock. I did find on on occasion with Air Hockey the sound disappeared completely regardless of the speaker switch setting. And to my surprise after a restart the microphone was back to normal.

But finally, yesterday when the condition was no microphone I happened to try an App called FriendCaller and after doing that my mic came back with Talking Tom, Video, Skype.

I have the same problem and tried Friend Finder but it didn't help.
I am going to contact Apple as I believe this must be a common problem with the MF not working.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Steve

Most reactions