What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pdf reading app with these features...

cshmech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
-'continuous vertical scrolling'
-bookmarking
-cloud storage and
-annotating capabilities

I have been searching for a PDF Reader app with all these features for quite sometime now. Right now I am using "PDF reader Pro" which kind of satisfies all my requirements except for the continuous scrolling part, for which I have to activate a 'lock horizontal' option each time after I open a file and set it to a particular zoom level. I prefer being auto set to fit page width, and having a continuous scrolling right when i open a file. it also has some messy annotating capabilities. But I still think that's a 'deal' for $1.

Then I came across this "PDF Snapshot" app XTeo.. They have an extended version of it "PDF Assistant", which promises to have all that I ask for. It also has that "continuous vertical scrolling set as default(which I most sought after). But the ratings for that app is not so good if you check it out. And when I was using the PDF Snapshot, yes it crashed twice when I went heavy on the annotations. So do you think I should go for the full version PDF Assistant? Anyone used it? I'm here for your opinion guys and you can suggest me any other app which satisfies my needs. it's better if it can sync with Dropbox and has a good, file and folder management system.
Thanks

P.S: If you are wondering what I mean by 'continuous vertical scrolling' check out Dropbox, or try opening any multiple-paged PDF in atomic web browser.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the best apps for vertical scrolling I've found is iAnnotate. In addition, it's great on annotations and you can save to, or pull from, Dropbox.

It's $9.99 in the app store, but I think you'll find it'll do what you want.

Good luck in your search.

Marilyn

P.S. You might also like Goodreader ... but it doesn't scroll as nicely as iAnnotate.

OP
cshmech

cshmech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
One of the best apps for vertical scrolling I've found is iAnnotate. In addition, it's great on annotations and you can save to, or pull from, Dropbox.

It's $9.99 in the app store, but I think you'll find it'll do what you want.

Good luck in your search.

Marilyn

P.S. You might also like Goodreader ... but it doesn't scroll as nicely as iAnnotate.

Marilyn, did you read my other thread... Where we were talking about this? I'm still keeping iAnnotate in my wish list! But I want. To try the PDF Assistant app... Have you tried this? You said, you have tried a bunch of apps for PDF reading...
Thanks

BadaJr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am extensively using iAnnotate for last 8 months and i can only recommend, especially after the last update. I think its a great app if you read (and annotate) a lot of odf... Dropbox syncing works well and you can have either vertical scrolling or pagination.. Apart from that, you have text annotation(as many colours as you want), drawing, stamps etc... Lot of things. Its very versatile app, imho...

Although i have to admit i didnt use the PDF reader pro, which should be nice as well...

OP
cshmech

cshmech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BadaJr said:
I am extensively using iAnnotate for last 8 months and i can only recommend, especially after the last update. I think its a great app if you read (and annotate) a lot of odf... Dropbox syncing works well and you can have either vertical scrolling or pagination.. Apart from that, you have text annotation(as many colours as you want), drawing, stamps etc... Lot of things. Its very versatile app, imho...

Although i have to admit i didnt use the PDF reader pro, which should be nice as well...

All I was saying was PDF Reader Pro is a good one for $1. If it's gonna cost me $10, I'm expecting much more from it! Thanks for the reply...

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Marilyn, did you read my other thread... Where we were talking about this? I'm still keeping iAnnotate in my wish list! But I want. To try the PDF Assistant app... Have you tried this? You said, you have tried a bunch of apps for PDF reading...
Thanks

I don't have PDF Assistant, sorry. I did try the PDF Snapshot [free] app. The scrolling is about the same as iAnnotate's, so if that's your primary objective, it's good. For the remainder, it doesn't perform better than iAnnotate, so I have no urge to buy the upgraded PDF Assistant. Which means I can't really comment on it - pluses or minuses.

However, I didn't see a way [in PDF Snapshot] to organize the PDFs into folders or to send the documents to Dropbox (iAnnotate creates a folder within Dropbox that accessible online via the iPad or your PC). Maybe that's in the paid version?

Sorry I can't give you a direct comparison. Good luck on your search...

Marilyn

OP
cshmech

cshmech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. I bought the PDF Assistant app by XTeo... And it has been very good. It has all the features I have mentioned above. And it's only $4.. You can organize files and folders, connect to Dropbox.. Annotate.. It has everything I was looking for and I'm very satisfied!

P.S. : It had some minor glitches initially.. Yes the app crashed once or twice in the beginning and I was starting to wonder if my money was waste and after sometime it never happened. I'm using it smooth now.. In fact this is the only PDF Reader app im using on my iPad!

Most reactions

Latest posts